This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok deleted my music, you call that intuitive?!?!?!?!?!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Pissed off
Yeah...so I've been trying to get amarok to work, because of all the praise I've seen.  Well, it's absolute 110% ****...and it seems that if you delete a playlist...you delete the songs in the play list...kinda funny how it doesn't explain that...and you call it intuitive?!?!?!?!?!...ABSOLUTE ****!!!!!  Now I have to spend hours rebuilding a music collection destroyed by bad software...you guys blow goat!!!!!!
demian31415
Yeah, it's really hard to tell the difference between "Remove from Playlist" and "Delete file". I understand that you're **** but I've got little sympathy for you: There's a dialog box that pops up when you hit "delete file" that you probably didn't read and just hit enter.

However, I do think the "delete file" option is rather dangerous especially since the focus of the pop up box is on "delete" by default. Maybe there could be a configuration option in the preferences to disable the "delete file" option from the context menu.
Hans
Administrator
OS
AFAIK, this was a bug that has been fixed.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
sebr
There is even a warning dialog.  You should read.
dangle_wtf
What would be nice though... is if the 'delete file' option was removed from the playlist context menu. After all, deleting a file is "collection management" and should only be possible through the collection (and files) browsers... (IMO of course :) )

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
hunter
demian31415 wrote:However, I do think the "delete file" option is rather dangerous especially since the focus of the pop up box is on "delete" by default. Maybe there could be a configuration option in the preferences to disable the "delete file" option from the context menu.

Yes, full ACK!
I want to disable the "delete file" option, too.
Is there some place I can vote for it  :confused:
Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
Registered Member
Well... It's been discussed that moving the file management options into a sub-menu would make sense as well, since well... at least then total doofuses like the guy above would KNOW that it's file management. It would, on a much more important note, make it more consistent with how it looks in the Collection browser - a submenu name of Manage Files, with the two items under it, namely Organize File(s), and depending on options in KDE either Delete File or Move to Trash... :)

..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

"A Vast Swimmer Keeps No Pets"
- Seamus Z. Harper, Andromeda 1:14
dangle_wtf
vote for it?

Only if someone's bothered to post a bug/wish about it on http://bugs.kde.org rather than just posting here!

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
thenktor
manager
I really don't see the point why a PLAYER should be able to delete files :confused:
I can use Konqueror for this task.

Have you ever seen a CD Player with a "Trash CD" button? No, because you can use your own hands to trash it! :eek:
imported-patpi
Registered Member
manager wrote:I really don't see the point why a PLAYER should be able to delete files :confused:
I can use Konqueror for this task.

when you have 100000000 mp3s... and 10 new mp3s per day it is extremly usefull to have ablity to delete mp3 you checked and marked as not_so_good_to_listen_and _to_be_on my_harddrive from music player. For me it would be tragic to open Konquerror or OpenSpace filemanager or whatever for deleting one or two mp3s
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
"Delete files" is pretty obvious though...  Sure it would be nice to customize what was in the context menu so we could all optimize it to our own usage, but it isn't necessary. 

I hardly notice the option anyways - I use the Collection panel to delete stuff, why would you ever open Konqueror or Nautilus?!
manager
patpi wrote:when you have 100000000 mp3s... and 10 new mp3s per day it is extremly usefull to have ablity to delete mp3 you checked and marked as not_so_good_to_listen_and _to_be_on my_harddrive from music player. For me it would be tragic to open Konquerror or OpenSpace filemanager or whatever for deleting one or two mp3s

I have thousands of MP3 in a very well sorted collection. And I listen to new files BEFORE I put them to my collection.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
manager wrote:I have thousands of MP3 in a very well sorted collection. And I listen to new files BEFORE I put them to my collection.

Good call!  There's no sense making your database any larger than it has to be.  I tried that once with wxMusik and in the end all I had was a huge collection with <10% rated :P.  I much prefer screening the tunes before I add them to my permanent collection so I can ensure I only have "good" tunes ;).
dangle_wtf
On the other hand, others aren't as organised, or have better things to do ;)

Besides, I love my collection - it's like listening to the radio. You never know what's in there, and what might play next.

And people change their minds...

Having a delete button is important when you USE amaroK to do the screening - that's what the File Browser is for. Screen the track. Like it? Move it to collection... Hate it? delete it.