This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

The SQL's

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Planet Smasher

The SQL's

Wed May 10, 2006 3:28 am
I'm a total Linux n00b here, so take it easy on me for asking this question.

What are the differences between SQLite, MySQL, and postgresql?

What are their Pros and Cons, and why would I prefere one over the other?
Planet Smasher

Re: The SQL's

Thu May 11, 2006 3:02 am
Let me clarify my question:

What are the differences between SQLite, MySQL, and postgresql?

What are their Pros and Cons, and why would I prefere one over the other as it applies to AmaroK?
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Thu May 11, 2006 3:39 am
For the best answer to you questions, I'd check out Wikipedia.  It probably has much more information than we'll be able to puke up.

Unless, of course, you're asking specific questions relating to these and amaroK... then someone can probably help you :)
Planet Smasher

Thu May 11, 2006 4:14 am
Yeah, one of the configuration optons that a user has in AmaroK is to choose from among the three of those SQL's.  I want to know what are the Pros and Cons of each of them as it reliates to using AmaroK and AmaroK's features.  What each one offers, and even opinions about which one is best and why.
dangle_wtf

Thu May 11, 2006 8:26 am
Well... if you have a large (over 7000 tracks or so) collection, mysql and postgresql are apparently faster and more robust than sqlite. That said, there are prople with large collections using sqlite with no real problems.

The major benefit of using mysql or postgresql is that they allow the possibility of shared collections and remote storage of the database. Useful for laptops (for example) where local drive space  for database creation might be limited.

The other difference is, using sqlite, your database is automatically stored in your ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ dir (as collection.db). If you run a multi-user machine, it's a lot easier for multiple users to share the mysql or postgresql database, as these both run as a daemon.

As for the differences between mysql and postgresql, as far as I know, it's a personal preference. If you already have one of them installed for other purposes, you might as well use that database method with amarok.

That said, the opposite is also true - if you don't already have mysql or postgresql installed, then using the built-in sqlite for your amarok database saves having to install another application.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Planet Smasher

Fri May 12, 2006 1:07 am
What you're saying, then, is that if I decided to build a NAT Server, for my home network, and store all of my music and AVI's on it, MySQL and postgresql can allow AmaroK to see, recognize, and play it from any machine on the network.  I can mangage my collection over the network with AmaroK, and multiple users can share the same source of music.

I can't do any of the above with SQLite; but for a single user on a single machine, it's just fine.

Did I understand you correctly?
dangle_wtf

Fri May 12, 2006 2:05 am
Not exactly.
amaroK can still see/access/play music stored on network shares if you use sqlite, as you need to mount the network drive locally. However, yes, it is possible to share collection databases between different machines.

http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/MySQL_HowTo
http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index. ... esql_HowTo

Both those pages have details on how to set up each, and things to be aware of when sharing databases. From the look of that, postgresql seems to be the preferred option when sharing one db between multiple users - but this might only be because noone's documented how to do it with mysql.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Planet Smasher

Fri May 12, 2006 4:28 am
Thaks for those links.  I shall study them and, hopefully, I'll know enough then to determine what I'll do next.  Thanks for your help.

A gratuitus use of formating options.  Just to see how it works.  This line has no other purpose except to let me play with the buttons.  Ah!  This is pretty cool.  Look at how cool my text looks moving across the screen.  Weeee!!!