This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Gapless Playback? Where?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mike Shepard
Registered Member

Gapless Playback? Where?

Tue May 16, 2006 8:15 am
I just installed the new amaroK 1.4.0 on my debian sid maching running e17.  I don't see a gapless playback option anywhere.  I am using the xine engine and I have xine-lib 1.1.1-3 installed as required.  How do I enable it?  I love amaroK with a passion and have been looking forward to the new version's arrival (which is great btw).  Please help.  Thanks

Cheers,
Mike
Mike Shepard
Registered Member

Re: Gapless Playback? Where?

Wed May 17, 2006 9:40 am
hmm... anyone???  I've read of people using this, I just want to know how to enable it?  Crossfading with Gapless playback is the only way to listen to music  :biggrin:

Cheers,
Mike
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Wed May 17, 2006 3:40 pm
Mike Shepard wrote:hmm... anyone???  I've read of people using this, I just want to know how to enable it?  Crossfading with Gapless playback is the only way to listen to music  :biggrin:

Cheers,
Mike

Try setting no crossfade.  It does it automatically for me.
Mike Shepard
Registered Member

Mon May 22, 2006 8:16 am
So I can't have crossfading and gapless playback enabled to together?  That is the best combination though, I hope this is not true.  Is there a way to enable both together?  Thanks

Cheers,
Mike
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Thu May 25, 2006 3:17 pm
How would gapless and crossfade work at the same time?  Isn't it one or the other?? 

There is an option in XINE to only do cross-fading on manual change, is that what you're looking for?
Mike Shepard
Registered Member

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:00 pm
My belief was that it depends on the crossfading engine.  Most seem to fade into the next song with the silence at the end of songs included.  Removing the silence (gap) with crossfading enabled allows a perfectly seamless slide into the next song.  Most plays with these features seem to have an enable/disable for both.  In this case can I assume it is intrigrated into the crossfading?  I'll have to get some live concert songs to test this out. Thanks

Cheers,
Mike
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:55 pm
Ok, I see what you're saying.  The Karma would "trim" the silence off ends of songs so they would play seemlessly, but I thought amarok played seemlessly (with XINE at least).  Maybe I'm wrong and I was playing gapless FLAC files.