This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

i am back to 1.3.9 (please comment)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hds
Registered Member

i am back to 1.3.9 (please comment)

Tue May 16, 2006 6:53 pm
1.3.9 does support everything!! arts, gstreamer, xine (didnt check akode, though.. )

my 2 EuroCents:
as long as arts is the default in KDE (and it is to the current state) leave this in! even if it is not "maintaned" (whatever that means) it *does* work for most of us.

i was awaiting new features in 1.4, for example an offline collection. so that i could drop in one of my 20 DVDs full of mp3's, and did not have to rescan my coillection. this still did not happen in 1.4!
i have to rescan my collection, and my playcounts are gone. i  mean, hey, what the fsck? why do i have an mysql database?

OK, 1.4 does support ipod (i dont have that) - but what else is new? wikisearch, hmm.. i wouldnt miss that one if it is gone, really.

so whats the score? 1.3.9 (while running ./configure) mentions to me something like: "hey, you should use gstreamer - you dont know what you are missing if you dont". well, i installed all or this, and now it tells me gstreamer support is gone. excuse me?
noe i have to install the xine-lib??

i mean, hey - i was fine without gstreamer (no gnome here) and xine-lib in the first place. meanwhile i bloated my system with gstreamer and xine, just to use amaroK?

you cant be serious, really!

if you like to have future support - go phonon, and leave the old stuff in. the 1.4 source is still bloated with redundant stuff already. so what? let the user enable it to his very own desire (unsupported).

thx for listening,
hds

Last edited by hds on Tue May 16, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf
It's a free world - noone's forcing you to upgrade.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
hds
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:It's a free world - noone's forcing you to upgrade.

well, some day there will be vulnerable things found (like in any old software) so i will be forced then.

i wonder how a major release *update* (1.3.9 -> 1.4.0) can have *so many* less features  :confused:

arts gone, gstreamer gone, akode gone, $home tab gone, local encodeing gone  :confused: :confused:

OTOH: physically deleting of files in *playlist window* still possible
still no chance to have my DVD MP3 collections in the database

for me (and others) there is not one advantage to 1.3.9, just dis-advantages.
and - yes - this is critics, not a flame or whatnot.
hds
Registered Member
hilarious! my kDE is still using 1.3.9 even after emerging 1.4 now (just for testing)

markey and crew - fetch a life, really.
come over for an nice BBQ and a crate of beer, or whatnnot.
but this is absolutly ridiculous.
sebr
You wan't my comments - fine.

You don't need to flame this twice.

simply because developer decisions are against your favour, it does not mean that we are wrong. You happen to be the 1% for whom arts worked for. gstreamer would never have worked for you.  The home tab was removed because it was a usability nightmare - I don't care how experienced of a user you are, it never was supposed to be there.  The new solution is much better.  Encoding was dropped because it **** up everything, forces the usage of id3v1 tags, limits tag length, forbids the usage of extended tag information and causes regressions, bugs and frustrations from users everywhere. If users have to overcome one big hurdle, its better than hundreds of small ones.

As for getting a life? You're a **** - I'd like to see you put hundreds of hundreds of hours into an open source project which is globally acclaimed, for free, with nothing tangible in return.  You know, we have to study and make a living at the same time.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Seb Ruiz wrote:As for getting a life? You're a **** - I'd like to see you put hundreds of hundreds of hours into an open source project which is globally acclaimed, for free, with nothing tangible in return.  You know, we have to study and make a living at the same time.

Are you serious? You know, you devs shouldn't do anything other than developing amaroK!

hds: Please quit your whine. You know, you're never forced to use a newer version. But if you want to, because there are new features/fixes, it's your choice.
And if you really want something that badly, why not fix it yourself? amaroK is open source, you're free to edit the source code as you please.
Oh by the way, amaroK wasn't developed just for you.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
dangle_wtf
Not only that - it's working fine for thousands of others - indicating there may be a system problem somewhere.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"