This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No gapless playback?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Me

No gapless playback?

Thu May 18, 2006 7:50 am
I thought amaroK 1.4 was going to have true gapless playback, including MP3s where possible (LAME encoded). Well, I just tried it out, and it dit NOT play my LAME encodes gapless.
dangle_wtf

Re: No gapless playback?

Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 am
Isn't it great how people just post without checking the forum first?

If you search here for 'gapless' I suspect you'll find all sorts of information.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
me

Thu May 18, 2006 8:52 am
I have searched, but found no posts that answer my question.
dangle_wtf

Thu May 18, 2006 8:55 am
question?

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
me

Thu May 18, 2006 9:01 am
Whether amaroK 1.4 does play LAME-encoded MP3s gapless (well obviously it doesn't, but I was under the impression it would, after reading this thread: http://amarok.kde.org/forum/index.php/topic,9994.0.html).
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 18, 2006 11:48 am
You know that MP3s are padded at the end and thus are not a good format to have tracks in you require to be really gapless?
me

Thu May 18, 2006 12:18 pm
I do indeed know that MP3 is not a natively gapless format. I also know, that it is possible to achieve PERFECT gapless playback of MP3s if they are encoded by LAME (the LAME-header contains information about the amount of padding).

And my encodings are indeed gapless (they are all either LAME 3.90.3 --alt-preset standard or LAME 3.97b2 -V 2 --vbr-new).

So now I am going to buy an old computer, install Windows, and use a wonderful player that actually does support true gapless playback (foobar2000). The only purpose of this box will be listening to music. foobar2000 will also give me several other features that I miss (replaygain, playback of WavPack and Monkey's Audio, seeking in MusePack...).
dangle_wtf

Thu May 18, 2006 12:53 pm
No need to be such a matyr... I'm sure a bright lad like you can get foobar running under wine.

Investigate your alsa version and setup, and your xine version.

Install the replaygain script.

wolle

Sun May 21, 2006 9:38 am
I'm trying with amarok1.4a and ogg/vorbis but again no gapless playback  :mad