This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New interface/context menu.. not so much.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jason Holloway
Registered Member
Im not sure i like the context on top of the playlist very much.  I like to be able to see my playlist, and drag and drop items from the requested songs screen (without having to scroll around)...  I like to see the context at the same time as my current playlist! I also use a widescreen monitor both at home and work - (and alot of people are switching to widescreen) its convenient to have the context on the side so we can widen it - at the same time see whats playing.. I realize you can click the 'music' tab and see the whole context, but then your playlist info is gone...  I suppose I can 'right click' on a tune to add it to the playlist, but i cant drop it where i want to in the list.  Anyway.. maybe I am nitpicking, or there is a way for me to change it back?
marcel
Registered Member
OS
Latest SVN has changed back to the old layout.
troycarpenter
Registered Member
OS
Marcel wrote:Latest SVN has changed back to the old layout.

Thank goodness.  I came to the forum today to see if there was a way to switch it back.  I definitely do NOT like the new layout.
cottonwood
Registered Member
just out of curiosity, can i get a screenshot of the the new interface (i don't want to install it... :eek: :smilie: )?
thanks
hds
Registered Member

i have a deja vu - or what
everytime someone is complaining about something, latest CVS has it changed back.
just happened to me a few days ago with "album, the" vs "the, album"

OTOH i agree, the old layout was much better. currently most of my 1600 screenwidh is waisted with blank space.

my oh my - they play with nifty stuff, important things still not fixed. i repeat myself again:

a) mysql and lastfm pw in clear text. -> put to kdewallet!
b) CD/DVD collection not possible
c) deleting of files optional please [configurable per menu]
d) script playlist2html still not fixed.

most of those above i am asking for *month* !
at least security should be an issue.. ah well..
Hydrogen
Registered Member
hds wrote:

i have a deja vu - or what
everytime someone is complaining about something, latest CVS has it changed back.
just happened to me a few days ago with "album, the" vs "the, album"

OTOH i agree, the old layout was much better. currently most of my 1600 screenwidh is waisted with blank space.

my oh my - they play with nifty stuff, important things still not fixed. i repeat myself again:

a) mysql and lastfm pw in clear text. -> put to kdewallet!
b) CD/DVD collection not possible
c) deleting of files optional please [configurable per menu]
d) script playlist2html still not fixed.

most of those above i am asking for *month* !
at least security should be an issue.. ah well..

a) I considder it useful >_<, easy way to not forgot passwords
b) Dynamic collection support is being worked on
c) more time has bneen spent idiot-proofing deleting than it deserves, stop complaining.
d) its a script, who cares.

In short, the only one of those that takes real coding experience is b, and thats being worked on.  The rest are easily changed by anyone who wishes to do so, assuming they are not too busy complaining on the forums.
token
Registered Member
If it's easy to switch it back and forth, why not make it switchable via the preferences dialog? If that doesn't work, why not a ./configure option? Maybe a new change could be the addition of a modular interface, drag/drop the layout the way you want it (even if not possible in the player itself, why not make it somewhat adjustable in the preferences dialog? Probably not possible, just tossing out some ideas.

I didn't like the new layout myself, but I can see how some people would like it...
eean
KDE Developer
OS
hds wrote:
Marcel wrote:d) script playlist2html still not fixed.
Worksforme.

Amarok Developer
charlie_gc4
Registered Member
:confused:

I have to agree, I don't like the new interface. Drag and drop from collection to playlist is a big feature for me. I like to see the playlist down the right. With the new orientation we are restricted to a few lines to view. Also it seems the orientation of the album info is not meant to be horizontal, just seems a hug waste of space.

I will stick with 1.4.0. for now.
Jarsto
Registered Member
OS
Well I guess I'm in the minority here, but I actually preferred the new layout. In fact I've switched from running the most recent SVN (regularly updated) to one of my older SVN-based packages to keep the new layout for now. It took me about a day to get used to it, but after that I really enjoyed having the context available on screen along with the playlist AND playlists, collection or files on the left.

I wonder if this may be a wide-screen versus 4:3 problem in general since I'm on an old-fashioned 4:3 monitor (1024x768). I find I have enough playlist under the context stuff at least for my purposes. Making it switchable via preferences, as token suggests above would be nice, but since I'm not a developer/coder of any sort I'll admit I don't have a clue how easy or difficult it would be.

Jarsto

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
W. Somerset Maugham
dangle_wtf
Nah, you're not in the minority... it's just that the nay-sayers are louder ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Jason Holloway
Registered Member
Yay!!!  I updated to the latest svn and it is back to (what i call) normal.  Im not that resistant to change, but i feel its just more userfriendly the older way.
admsjas
Registered Member
i have to disagree with the naysayers in this post. at first i didn't care for the context on top, but hey i can get used to it. it's different, not the norm, goes against the grain. after all that's really what linux is all about. i say go for it developers, never mind the naysayers if they don't like it they can stick to an older version.
token
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:Nah, you're not in the minority... it's just that the nay-sayers are louder ;)

I wouldn't have said anything unless others said it first, but I do believe it should be adjustable. I really just didn't like it. It has potential though.

I think the 'now playing' tab having info 'below the fold' was one of the most annoying things, I also didn't like the size of the tabs above. Personally, I would have centered the tabs and made them 75% of the width of that pane, but that could be subjective.

Another thing that I thought of would be to put both album info and song info next to each other, side by side instead of in a single row. That would fill the screen real estate so there isnt a huge space there. You can make it wrap when the info window is a certain size. so it'd go back to old style, but when its wider, show them next to each other.

Although I still like the 'old' style better, I do believe changing to the new look by default, but leaving the old look as an option would be a good way to go, it'd let us 'oldies' give the new look time to mature. I think the new look can be good if it had time to grow, but it was just such a quick change, and it seemed 'too' quick. Lots of things with the new look weren't considered. If you're not still working on the new look, don't stop! It needs more time to mature, and I think thats most of the reason people didn't like it.. It wasn't very mature at all.

Last edited by token on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
imported-basquiat
Registered Member
I think the new look can be good if it had time to grow, but it was just such a quick change, and it seemed 'too' quick. Lots of things with the new look weren't considered. If you're not still working on the new look, don't stop! It needs more time to mature, and I think thats most of the reason people didn't like it... It wasn't very mature at all.

I think I can agree with this, if  'mature' doesn't just mean some new CSS themes in this context. It's a thing of usability, flexibility and configurability. It got pretty clear during the discussions about the new user interface that the needs of different people simply - you get it - differ.

Regarding my daily use, I laid down my reasons for not having too much fun with the recent changes in this thread. It's not just about 'naysayers' or neophobic conservatives, but this is just what suits me better than this. Your mileage might and will vary, so that's why there should be more configurability to it. Linux is more about having the freedom of choice than about not being the norm or going against anything, to pick up some words from this thread.  And by the way, Amarok runs on quite a few other platforms...

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.