This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Turn On/Off Database Updating and Last.fm Submissions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dangle_wtf
Which is the dilemma of  usability advocates everywhere.

There's a fine line between including a GUI element for something that some people will use, and cluttering the interface for those who won't use it, and couldn't care less. It also becomes an accessibility issue when you start including more and more little icons.
One way to get around this, is to create the means by which these elements can be included with a little extra effort on the part of those who want the feature.
Think of (for example) Microsoft Word. Almost everything is available as a toolbar button, but not everything is ON the toolbar by default.

Perhaps instead of requesting one particular feature, looking at the bigger picture might help. What about a toolbar button that a user can add to the toolbar if they want, which allows them to run a custom command?
It would be quite simple then, to assign the appropriate dcop command to a button, if you so desire.
The "oh god please don't clutter the interface even more" crowd and the "I want every known feature under the sun available with one click" crowd (as well as the less extreme people in the middle ;) ) might all have to compromise on something, but in the end, the majority would have what they want.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
imported-patpi
Registered Member
"Almost everything is available as a toolbar button, but not everything is ON the toolbar by default."

and that is what I was voting for. Two buttons which I *may* add.

In "Available Actions" in Configure Toolbars there are "Copy" , "select all" "undo" (which is at top of Amarok UI now) etc... this all buttons are there. Nobody wan't them nobody use them ;) and last.fm/update.db button is not there as an option ;/

So please... "What about a toolbar button that user can add to the toolbar if they want, which allows them to run a custom command?" it is good for "copy" :P not for update.db/last.fm... this options would be great suprise for all new amarok users that don't now about dcop (btw. in KDE4 dcop is out)

Last edited by imported-patpi on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rihards
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:Perhaps instead of requesting one particular feature, looking at the bigger picture might help. What about a toolbar button that a user can add to the toolbar if they want, which allows them to run a custom command?
It would be quite simple then, to assign the appropriate dcop command to a button, if you so desire.

i could not find such a feature request (or wish) in kde bugzilla - so maybe original poster could report it and post a wish number here.