This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

weird statistics

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
d-st
Registered Member

weird statistics

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:31 am
Hi,

what's the difference between most played songs and favorite songs?
I think the songs I played at most are my favorites.
Jarsto
Registered Member
OS

Re: weird statistics

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:41 am
As I understand it most played songs is based purely on playcount, while favorite songs is based on the song's score. Usually they'll be more or less the same, but playing only five seconds of a song raises the playcount and lowers the score, so they can diverge.

Jarsto

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
W. Somerset Maugham
d-st
Registered Member

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:43 pm
Jarsto wrote:Usually they'll be more or less the same

not in my case... I don't know how I achieved this but I have songs in my favorite list in the top 5 which have been played once, maybe twice, while other songs I played about 30 times are on place 20 if at all.

Those statistics are completely off the track. Is there a way to clear them?
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:32 pm
You can manually update the statistics by righ-clicking and Editing Information.  Your most listened to songs should not have low scores if you've listened to them 20 times *all the way through*.  A song played once all the way through gets a score of 74 or 75 and from then on it goes like this (I assume):

Score := [ (Score * PlayCount) + (%-played) ] / [ PlayCount +1 ]

So if a song is scored as 50 and played 20 times, playing it once more all the way through will result in a score of:

Score := [ (50 * 20) + (100) ] / [ 21 ] = 52.38

Because the songs start moderately high (75 is pretty high, IMO), it sometimes happen that a song you've played once will rank high on your favourites chart.  It's  your own fault if your most played songs arent' your favouries - don't skip them!
d-st
Registered Member

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:30 pm
Aaron Cooper wrote:It's  your own fault if your most played songs arent' your favouries - don't skip them!

In my opinion such complex rating doesn't make much sense. If I listen to a song from the beginning to the half and then skip I still like it. And if I listen to a song for 5 seconds and then skip it doesn't mean that I don't like that song. If I actually don't like a song I just don't hear it that often.

The last.fm-rating is much more accurate. I play the song and at the half it's submitted. And their only criteria for favourite songs is how much I've played that song. Thus, my last.fm-charts really match my taste of music whereas amarok is completely wrong.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:17 pm
d-st wrote:
Aaron Cooper wrote:It's  your own fault if your most played songs arent' your favouries - don't skip them!

In my opinion such complex rating doesn't make much sense. If I listen to a song from the beginning to the half and then skip I still like it. And if I listen to a song for 5 seconds and then skip it doesn't mean that I don't like that song. If I actually don't like a song I just don't hear it that often.

The last.fm-rating is much more accurate. I play the song and at the half it's submitted. And their only criteria for favourite songs is how much I've played that song. Thus, my last.fm-charts really match my taste of music whereas amarok is completely wrong.

Everyone has their own idea of how an automatic scoring system should work. Which is why we made the scoring system use scripts. You could modify the existing scripts to implement your idea.

Amarok Developer