This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok 1.4.1, why no moodbar?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jazty
Registered Member

Re: amarok 1.4.1, why no moodbar?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:24 am
I, for one, am glad to see it go. I tried it out and found very little use for it. Of course, I don't have many songs with expanses of silence.... To me it seemed to be silly eye candy (as opposed to wicked eye candy).
eeeclaire
Registered Member

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:20 am
Waaaah!  I switched from OS X to Linux just because I saw the moodbar on my buddy's computer and had to have it! Now it's gone and I'm stuck learning Linux without even the pretty moodbar to comfort me!
Moodbar developer, you are a big meanie!
:rolleyes: Eye candy forever!  :eek:
dangle_wtf

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:37 am
you can still use moodbar - just find yourself a tarball of a version between 1.3.9 and 1.4.0, or checkout an svn revision from that time. I'm sure someone here still has something available.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:40 am
That's not really a solution. When I read this I feel like "we won't even think about doing that, go away, find someone else to annoy" :(

As I said, a graph, if this could be done, would be fine.
dangle_wtf

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:36 pm
Sure it's not THE solution... but in the meantime, until someone volunteers to fix and maintain moodbar support, I have a feeling it's probably the best you'll get.

I also loved and used moodbar, but suffered memory leaks and cpu usage problems for my eyecandy, so I can live without it.

Remember - it was never something the amarok devs initiated - it was code volunteered and committed - and was maintained up to a point... but when the maintainer disappeared with no warning and no contact with the main devs (of which I am NOT one) and leaving a long list of unfixed bugs (pretty much all of which are probably still open on bugs.kde.org) it's not exactly fair to expect someone to just take over on top of their other tasks.

There has been talk on IRC of people (names of whom, escape me) looking into the code and taking it further - perhaps you should log onto #amarok on irc.freenode.org and ask around.

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:16 pm
Hmmm, where could we find more information about the moodbar code?  I might have a little free time this co-op term...
shinyblue
Registered Member

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:49 pm
:mad: Bring them back! They're great!

I often use amarok like a low-level DJ - I love the crossfade that enables me to skip tracks when the track playing is not suitable anymore.

I really liked the moodbar. Say if I was playing some music that MUST be background, and I know that half way through a chilled track some loud brass kicks in, using mood bars, I could skip the track just before the brass started - because it's pink.

Gutted that they've been removed. I recognise that the coder's done a runner (git!) but is no-one else willing to step up to the challenge?

Great feature (much better than, say, downloading stuff from Amazon for 30 days), will nobody bring it back?!

wish I had the skills to...
dangle_wtf

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:33 pm
Hmmm, where could we find more information about the moodbar code?  I might have a little free time this co-op term...

There was a post on the amarok mailing list about this the other day -

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/amarok/20 ... 00927.html

QBob
Registered Member

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:58 am
dangle_wtf wrote:There was a post on the amarok mailing list about this the other day -

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/amarok/20 ... 00927.html

There are questions about the dependencies (namely GStreamer, the libraries, not the Amarok engine, which is still gone and is entirely unrelated) for that patch, and in any case the moodbar is not going to be included in the 1.4.2 release.  I'll keep the patch up to date with the latest SVN until it is applied to svn (if ever).  But if you are running svn amarok and want the moodbar, do give it a try here: http://shadowfax.homelinux.net/~guru/moodbar -- it's quite stable.  If you find any bugs please post it on a new thread in the forums and I'll take a look.  I'm not going to consider any feature requests until it's part of the main source.
shinyblue
Registered Member

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:53 am
Hey QBob, great news that you're sorting it out! Can't wait for your code to be included in the main release again.

thank you!  :biggrin:
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:45 am
It's back, and better than ever - thank you! ImageImage
[img]http://tom-f.org/pics/screens/ark_mbar.png[/img]