This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok 1.4.1, why no moodbar?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Vito De Tullio
Registered Member

amarok 1.4.1, why no moodbar?

Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:50 pm
In the changelog, you wrote:

CHANGES
Removed Moodbar

why?

By ZeD
dangle_wtf

Re: amarok 1.4.1, why no moodbar?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 am
Apparently because it had some serious memory leakage issues, and the dev who implemented it, and maintained exscalibar, has gone AWOL.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Vito De Tullio
Registered Member

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:39 am
oh!  :mad:

so there's no possibilities to reinsert the moodbar? I very liked it!

By ZeD
imported-Elez
Registered Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:03 am
Yeah, I loved it too!
Amarok was behaving wonderfully with the moodbar on, I didn't notice any memory guzzling so the memory leaks probably weren't VERY serious.

oh pretty please get the moodbar back and maybe add a  warning when people choose to use it that it's got memory leak issues.

Thanks,
Elez
mebrelith
Registered Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:03 pm
This thing had some serious issues for me... tried once, never again. Good thing is Im on Gentoo so all I have to do is ignore the USE flag. :)
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:08 pm
As it was it was buggy, unmaintainable, eyecandy.  If the developer had remained around, and did not just code it for a college project and then disappear, there were a number of things that could have happened to make it more useful, but with him disappearing, there was no reason to keep it.
Vito De Tullio
Registered Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:22 pm
...so, I think I can remove all .mood files from my HD...  :redface:

By ZeD
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:02 pm
Hi,
useless, memory consuming eye-candy, especially on large collections at first run. But was looking nice on this large playlist dessert. Don't miss it, even I've to build an exscalibar rpm to fit the requirements of my amarok rpm :smilie:. @Vito, on my installation all .mood files were gone after installing 1.4.1 (bug or feature? Who knows?)

Greetings

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
imported-Elez
Registered Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:58 pm
Yeah, well, nobody HAD to use it while it was there. It was nice that us freaks had the option to use it.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:49 pm
The moodbar was great for skipping silence in long songs...
imported-Elez
Registered Member

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:34 pm
Aaron Cooper wrote:The moodbar was great for skipping silence in long songs...

Exactly! One of the good things about it.

Bring back the moodbar!  :smilie:
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 pm
How about inserting a Audacity-like graph for the songs? That would allow to skip silences and should not require third-party-libraries (perhaps the code from the analysers can be recycled?)
imported-Elez
Registered Member

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:40 am
Alanceil wrote:How about inserting a Audacity-like graph for the songs? That would allow to skip silences and should not require third-party-libraries (perhaps the code from the analysers can be recycled?)

That's an option... Definitely. It's not as good as a Fourier transform coming alive in front of your eyes but it'll do the trick. :)
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:12 pm
Elez wrote:
Alanceil wrote:How about inserting a Audacity-like graph for the songs? That would allow to skip silences and should not require third-party-libraries (perhaps the code from the analysers can be recycled?)

That's an option... Definitely. It's not as good as a Fourier transform coming alive in front of your eyes but it'll do the trick. :)

Ugghhh... Moodbar = disabled!  I hate any sort of transfers - especially Laplace, since that's what they have us comp eng students using all the time!
imported-Elez
Registered Member

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:25 pm
Aaron Cooper wrote:
Elez wrote:

Ugghhh... Moodbar = disabled!  I hate any sort of transfers - especially Laplace, since that's what they have us comp eng students using all the time!

What are you talking about? Laplace is the absolute best!
You'd love it if you'd have done enough courses in ee!
anyway, back to the point:
Here's an idea!
what if one could choose if he wanted the moodbar at configure time and it'd be disabled by default?