This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Fuzzy Matching for Artists Names

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ltmon
Registered Member
I enjoy the "Albums By ...." and "Compilations With...." and "Favourite Tracks By...." areas of the context display, but do wish they had another feature.

I often have tracks and albums that are by e.g. "Wynton Marsalis & Arturo Sandoval" or by "The Dave Brubek Quartet".  It would be great if tracks by "Wynton Marsalis" would match to the "Wynton Marsalis & ...." tracks and tracks by "The Dave Brubek Quartet" would match just "Dave Brubek" and the "The Pat Metheny Group" would match "Pat Metheny & Jaco Pastorius".

This is especially good for streams and last.fm listening because you can't ensure that tracks are tagged in a manner consistent with the way I have tagged my collection.

Is this achievable just with string matching?  Or are there cases where you would need some kind of extra intelligence to sort it all out?

Cheers,

L.
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
ltmon wrote:I enjoy the "Albums By ...." and "Compilations With...." and "Favourite Tracks By...." areas of the context display, but do wish they had another feature.

I often have tracks and albums that are by e.g. "Wynton Marsalis & Arturo Sandoval" or by "The Dave Brubek Quartet".  It would be great if tracks by "Wynton Marsalis" would match to the "Wynton Marsalis & ...." tracks and tracks by "The Dave Brubek Quartet" would match just "Dave Brubek" and the "The Pat Metheny Group" would match "Pat Metheny & Jaco Pastorius".

This is especially good for streams and last.fm listening because you can't ensure that tracks are tagged in a manner consistent with the way I have tagged my collection.

Is this achievable just with string matching?  Or are there cases where you would need some kind of extra intelligence to sort it all out?

Cheers,

L.

I have a feeling that colud become a big mess if you used just string matching.  I can't think of any examples, but I imagine you could get some very strange relationships based on artist name alone.  I think a better way would be to use MusicBrainz's "X collaborated with Y" or "X is a collaboration of Y and Z".  That's probably a pain in the **** for the developers to try and use, so why not just use the "Related Artists" box in the context browser?