This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Difference Betwee Amarok and iTunes?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
doctorberen
Registered Member

Difference Betwee Amarok and iTunes?

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Hello guys. I tried Linux last year but went back to Windows because I was using a lot of Windows-only specialized applications like Rosetta Stone and ePocrates (a Palm OS-based pharmacopeia).

Since then, I've gotten an iPod. I'm actually considering trying Linux again but I first want to find out how the iPod support is.

Can anyone tell me how Amarok 1.4.1 is different from iTunes?

I don't wish to start a flamewar. Nor a debate on which is better. I just want to know if there are features and functionalities in iTunes that I should expect to miss in Amarok.

It's just that I think iTunes and iPod is like coffee and cream. They just complement each other perfectly. I like the fact that I can go to iTunes music store and buy songs within iTunes. Can I do this from Amarok? If not, how do I buy music online and how do import that in Amarok? Can I even buy songs from the apple music store?

My second question is about podcasts. From iTunes, I can browse through apple's website and select podcasts. Synchronization is also quite easy. How are podcasts treated in Amarok?

My next question is if Amarok syncs with the iPod. I mean, if I add a new song to Amarok, will it automatically get loaded in the iPod or will I have to manually drag it into the device?

Another question I have is about video. I know Amarok is an AUDIO player so it doesn't do video. But what can I do if I, for example, want to download Lost Season 2 from the iTunes music store and watch it in my PC? Can I even do this with any software in Linux?

Are there any other functionality that iTunes has that you wish Amarok will have in the future but doesn't yet?

I thank you in advance for all your help.
sebr
It's hard to summarise the differences between Amarok and iTunes. The experience is totally different, and something you will need to experiment for yourself :).  As for the rest of your questions...

a) AFAIK, It is not possible to play, download or access any DRM music on linux.  This includes itunes purchases, because Apple does not release anything for the linux world to play with. Simple as that.

b) You can still, however, purchase music from other legal stores, but they are not integrated into Amarok. No store is, actually.

c) Podcasts are handled separately to iPods, however still tie in together quite nicely.  Once again, since there is no iTMS or equivalent interface, you must find podcasts on the web and import them directly into Amarok.  It is as simple as "Add Podcast" then entering the URL.  You can configure podcasts to automatically check for updates, download media, and also transfer to your ipod.

d) For video, you can upload music/video to the ipod.  There is no way of adding music videos or video podcasts.  As for downloaded videos with iTunes Music Store, not possible, once again, due to DRM issues. All other media can be played on linux.

hope that helps,
seb