This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Gstreamer support removed - what's smart about it?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pierods
Registered Member
Hi,

sorry for the inflamatory title, but the latest RealPlayer won't play my ogg files, and Helix Player will play them extremely distorted. Xine will play them perfectly fine. Why did you guys had to remove Gstreamer support?
Paul Cifarelli
Registered Member
first off, youre right about Realplayer - it was a bug - but the latest nightly build has it fixed.  Pull a new the Realplayer from http://forms.helixcommunity.org/helix/b ... ay-current, put it whereever you like; you do not need to get rid of the old one if you dont want (hold on to it infact, you might want to copy the real audio/video/media plugins to the plugin directory of the nightly build; I dont think it is distributed with them).  Make sure to adjust the directories in the engine config dialog.

second, I'm working on the gstreamer engine, but it's not ready yet.  Gstreamer changed their interface entirely when they went from 0.8 (the 1.3 and earlier gst engine) to 0.10 (the new one).  It is not stable yet, and if we were to enable it, we would spend so much time answering the same questions that we just wouldnt make any progress on it, and would get annoyed to the point where we may drop it altogether :)

if you would like to test the new gst 0.10 engine, it is available from svn, athough you still need to enable it in the various scripts - if you're not sure how to do this, email me at paul at cifarelli dot net.
pierods
Registered Member
Excellent, thanks!