This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amaroK on a home network

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ejoftheweb
Registered Member

amaroK on a home network

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:06 pm
I have installed amaroK on my home network, and mostly it works fine.

Here's what I have.

Machine 1 is the main music machine and it holds the music itself, about 100 gig so far of ogg -q 10 files. It also runs a postgresql database, which amarok uses.
This machine is essentially headless and its sound-card is connected into the house hifi.
I run amaroK on it, but the  X session is forwarded to an old laptop located next to my armchair in the sitting-room, which acts as a remote control. I guess I could do this wirelessly too but in general I find that wires cause less grief than wireless networking.

Machine 2 is in my office, and runs another copy of amaroK using the same resources, accessing the ogg collection over a nfs mount and the same postgresql database. 

Both machines run Debian etch with a 2.6.15 kernel.

Two separate programmes of music can be played simultaneously without artefacts or other glitches.

Amarok on machine 2 crashes/freezes regularly, perhaps upgrading to 1.4.2 when .debs of it are released will help.

So what would I like it to do that it doesn't? Not a lot, tbh.

- X forwarding for the remote control works really well, but depends on having a spare laptop running X;
- There's no way of having more than one user control the music on machine 1. I quite like the idea that anyone with a pda / mobile-phone / laptop sitting in the same room (i.e on the same wireless access point / subnet) should be able to have some input to the music being played.