This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Has anyone already tested the new MTP support? & iriver clix specific questions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
estariel
Registered Member
Hi!
I really want to buy an iriver clix, but I am still wondering whether I will be able to use the device with linux - and amarok in particular.

From what I have heard amarok so far only supports the transfer of mp3s and wmas to MTP devices.

Does anyone know whether oggs and images, movies, etc. also work?

Also, I have heard that the clix will only be charged by the USB port it is connected to, if the OS is Windows XP with at least SP1. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks a lot!

Estariel
mopoke
Registered Member
estariel wrote:From what I have heard amarok so far only supports the transfer of mp3s and wmas to MTP devices.

Does anyone know whether oggs and images, movies, etc. also work?

Amarok only supports transferring music files. There are some other tools based on libmtp (such as the command line programmes) which will do video & images.
Ogg *should* work if the device supports it. I've only tested with a Creative product so have not explicitly tried Ogg.
estariel
Registered Member
Thanks for your reply!

I know that amarok is only meant to handle music (and I wholeheartedly support that), but it would be nice if there was support to transfer album art to the device...
But if there are command line utilities available, then that's fine - I will be getting a clix then ;)

Thanks again!
Estariel
mopoke
Registered Member
estariel wrote:Thanks for your reply!

I know that amarok is only meant to handle music (and I wholeheartedly support that), but it would be nice if there was support to transfer album art to the device...
But if there are command line utilities available, then that's fine - I will be getting a clix then ;)

Album art is a bit of a grey area still. I had some time to do some poking a few weeks back on the Creative to see how album art was associated to music. It will require some work on libmtp which I've not yet had time to start.
Also, there are a few questions I have about the exact implementation of it. So if the iRiver supports album art, I'd be interested in getting some help on how the iRiver handles album art.
estariel
Registered Member
mopoke wrote:Also, there are a few questions I have about the exact implementation of it. So if the iRiver supports album art, I'd be interested in getting some help on how the iRiver handles album art.

I will let you know once the iriver arrives and i have played around with it for a while!