This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tags, genre, MusicBrainz

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ai-yo
Registered Member

Tags, genre, MusicBrainz

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:20 am
Ok, I'm new to the whole iPod thing (yeah, catching up from the stone ages of CDs). This question may pertain partly to Amarok, but is really pretty general.

Anyway, now that I have an iPod and want to put a few hundred CDs on it, I assumed most of the tagging would be taken care of for me by CDDB or MusicBrainz, or some other online database. Got all the album and song names, but wanted the genre, too, since that's what I'd really like to shuffle on, make playlists out of, etc. MusicBrainz wasn't working so after some web searching and rebuilding of libtunepimp, I think that works now. But the only additional tag I seem to be getting is the Year. Ugh. What a let down. Did I just make a bad assumption about genre? Does everybody have to fill that in by themselves?

Again, I realize this probably isn't an Amarok issue, but I was hoping somebody could clue me in on how genre is set and maybe how to best deal with import and tagging of many CDs.

Thanks!