This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Daap Question

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aay
Registered Member

Daap Question

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:29 am
Greetings,

I'm a new forum member.  I've used Amarok for some time and am excited about the recent incorporation of daap.  I have not used daap very much in the past, but today I decided to set up a daap server and see if I could play my music over the network with Amarok.

After configuring things for a while, I got mt-daap installed.  My problem is I don't know how to access the daap server with Amarok.  I am running the 1.4.3 build of Amarok.  Where should I look to see the broadcast from the daap server?  Is there some sort of setup that I need to do with Amarok on the client side before I can see the broadcast? 

I know that the daap server is broadcasting properly, because if I open up Rhythmbox or Banshee, they see the daap server and play the tunes just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to gain access in Amarok.  Am I missing something simple?

Thanks,

Adam
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Daap Question

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:01 am
Your KDE must not be setup to use ZeroConfig. You can try accessing zeroconf:// in konqueror to double check.

Just note the ip address of the compute running mt-daapd and click on the [+] host button.

Amarok Developer
aay
Registered Member

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:47 am
Ian Monroe wrote:Your KDE must not be setup to use ZeroConfig. You can try accessing zeroconf:// in konqueror to double check.

If I try, zeroconf:/ in Konqueror, the server shows up.  At least it's listed as an http server.  However I did check Kcontrol and "Enable Zeroconf network browsing" was not enabled under "Internet & Networking / Zeroconf Service Discovery".  When I check it and hit apply, I got a dialog box back trying to run /usr/share/avahi/enable_avahi 1 and asking for my password.  But whenever I try to submit a password, I get back "Command '/usr/share/avahi/enable_avahi 1' not found."  Indeed it's not there.  Is this some sort of Ubuntu problem?

Ian Monroe wrote:Just note the ip address of the compute running mt-daapd and click on the [+] host button.

Should I see the "[+] host button" in Amarok?  I can't find that option anywhere in the menus or preferences.

Thanks
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:53 am
Bah, the forum messed up what I was trying to say. I meant to say click the
Code: Select all
[+] button

Its there in the toolbar, to the right of the connect/disconnect buttons.

And yes that would be a problem specific to Ubuntu.

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amarok Developer
aay
Registered Member

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:29 pm
Ian Monroe wrote:Bah, the forum messed up what I was trying to say. I meant to say click the
Code: Select all
[+] button

Its there in the toolbar, to the right of the connect/disconnect buttons.

And yes that would be a problem specific to Ubuntu.

Hmm.  I'm looking everwhere and I can't find the + button anywhere in Amarok.  I do see the connect/disconnect buttons, but only under Media Device which hardly seems like the right location.  There is no + button to the right of them.  I wonder if it's not showing up because of the zeroconf configuration problems in kcontrol that I mentioned above. It's just frustrating since Banshee and Rhythmbox see and play songs off of the mt-daap server without any problem.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:06 am
Ok, I had assumed you had the DAAP client set up. Check out this page on the wiki:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Music_Sharing

Amarok Developer
aay
Registered Member

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:46 pm
Ian Monroe wrote:Ok, I had assumed you had the DAAP client set up. Check out this page on the wiki:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Music_Sharing

Thanks!  That definitely helped.  I'm still having problems, but I think they are kde/kubuntu related.  I still get the error regarding /usr/share/avahi/enable_avahi when I try to enable zeroconf in kcontrol.  I'm having trouble finding a fix for this, but it looks like zeroconf has been fixed for Edgy.  I'm tired of messing with it.  I may just wait to then.  Thanks to your info though I should have no problem configuring it when it's fixed.

Thanks again.

Adam