This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

iriver clix: MTP fails to copy files to player, but can browse content of player

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
estariel
Registered Member
Hi!
I hope someone can help me with this: I got an iriver clix, which is an MTP device. I got libmtp 0.0.11 (as was suggested) and updated my libusb to 0.1.12.
I edited the libmtp.rules file to recognize the iriver clix.

After doing all this and recompiling amarok (Ubuntu Dapper's amarok (even upgraded) does not contain MTP support), I was able to connect to the player and browse its content.
If I try to copy a file though, amarok will  tell me that the file cannot be copied, and it will crash immediately.

This is the shell output right after the crash:

Code: Select all
amarok: BEGIN: virtual MediaItem* MtpMediaDevice::copyTrackToDevice(const MetaBundle&)
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] filetype : 1
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Using default music folder : 458752
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Creating new folder 'name of my music files album' as a child of 458752
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] New folder ID: 0
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Attempt to create folder 'name of my music files album' failed.
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Couldn't create new parent (%a - %b)
amarok: END__: virtual MediaItem* MtpMediaDevice::copyTrackToDevice(const MetaBundle&) - Took 0.0056s

It would be great if someone knew what I could try to make it work!
Thanks!
Estariel
mopoke
Registered Member
estariel wrote:Hi!
I hope someone can help me with this: I got an iriver clix, which is an MTP device. I got libmtp 0.0.11 (as was suggested) and updated my libusb to 0.1.12.

After doing all this and recompiling amarok (Ubuntu Dapper's amarok (even upgraded) does not contain MTP support), I was able to connect to the player and browse its content.
If I try to copy a file though, amarok will  tell me that the file cannot be copied, and it will crash immediately.

amarok: BEGIN: virtual MediaItem* MtpMediaDevice::copyTrackToDevice(const MetaBundle&)
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Creating new folder 'name of my music files album' as a child of 458752
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Attempt to create folder 'name of my music files album' failed.
amarok: END__: virtual MediaItem* MtpMediaDevice::copyTrackToDevice(const MetaBundle&) - Took 0.0056s

Thanks!
Estariel

Hi,

If it crashes when it can't create the parent folder, that's certainly bad news. Could you pop a bug report on bugs.kde.org and I'll look into it after the weekend. Does the album/artist name contain any accented/"foreign" characters?

Meantime, to get stuff onto the device, if you're not fussed about folder structures, you can edit the folder path that's created. The default is to use "%a - %b" (artist - album), if you set it to an empty string then it won't attempt to create any folder structure. You can edit the path in the media devices configuration tab.
estariel
Registered Member
mopoke wrote:
estariel wrote:Hi!

Thanks!
Estariel

Hi,

If it crashes when it can't create the parent folder, that's certainly bad news. Could you pop a bug report on bugs.kde.org and I'll look into it after the weekend. Does the album/artist name contain any accented/"foreign" characters?

Meantime, to get stuff onto the device, if you're not fussed about folder structures, you can edit the folder path that's created. The default is to use "%a - %b" (artist - album), if you set it to an empty string then it won't attempt to create any folder structure. You can edit the path in the media devices configuration tab.

Hi,
I will file a bug report later.
Meanwhile, I tried to disable the folder structure. Now amarok does not crash anymore, when I hit the "Transfer files" button, but will only tell me that it cannot copy the files.
This is the shell output:
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] filetype : 2
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Parent id : 458752
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Sending track... /media/usbdisk/Artist - Name of Album/Artist - 13 - Name of Song.ogg
PTP: I/O error
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Could not write file -1
amarok: END__: virtual MediaItem* MtpMediaDevice::copyTrackToDevice(const MetaBundle&) - Took 0.0037s
amarok: [MtpMediaDevice] couldn't get storage details

My filenames contain spaces, dashes and numbers, but no foreign characters (like öäü etc.)
I will try a file with a filename without any spaces next.

Thanks for your help!
Estariel
mopoke
Registered Member
estariel wrote:Meanwhile, I tried to disable the folder structure. Now amarok does not crash anymore, when I hit the "Transfer files" button, but will only tell me that it cannot copy the files.
This is the shell output:
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] filetype : 2
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Parent id : 458752
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Sending track... /media/usbdisk/Artist - Name of Album/Artist - 13 - Name of Song.ogg
PTP: I/O error
amarok:   [MtpMediaDevice] Could not write file -1
amarok: END__: virtual MediaItem* MtpMediaDevice::copyTrackToDevice(const MetaBundle&) - Took 0.0037s
amarok: [MtpMediaDevice] couldn't get storage details

Hmm. That's a libmtp error you're getting there (PTP: I/O error). I had that same error for a few versions of libmtp (0.0.15 & 0.0.16) because of some library changes. I'd suggest upgrading your libmtp to the latest version (I think it's .17).
estariel
Registered Member
Hello!
I read the libmtp mailing lists, and apparently, noone knows why the iriver clix does not work :( (but there are several people experiencing my problems).
I guess I will have to move music on it using windows (at least for now)