This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

first Impressions of Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hoelk
Registered Member

first Impressions of Amarok

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:01 am
Hi, i recently migrated my desktop pc from Windows to Ubuntu and wanted to share my opinion about amarok with the commonuity
(under windows i have been using foobar)

i was really positivley impressed with some of the advanced features of amarok (like the cd database with cover fetching, the raiting system and the cool dynamical playlists) though im really missing some features i would describe as "basic".

what hurts most is the missing cue sheet support, i guess this might allready have been adressed several times here.
i would also be quite happy to see native replaygain/ogggain and better audio format support (its seams really hard to get monkey's audio support under linux though its a free format and quite widespread?)

greets from austria, hoelk
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re: first Impressions of Amarok

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:01 am
I believe Amarok has cue file support if the cue file has the same filename as the music file.

By making Monkey audio free-to-download it quashed anyones desire to make a open source implemention. But Monkey's audios license is actually very restrictive, its not just zealotry preventing you from finding implementations of it in Linux. Regardless thats not an Amarok issue but an issue of Xine and Helix really.

Amarok Developer
hoelk
Registered Member

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:47 am
just tried it with same filename as audiofile, didnt work for me
at least for .flac
dangle_wtf

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:35 am
I use cue files with mp3s (note this is the only format I've tested with) in amarok - your cue file must be *exactly* the same filename (obviously different extension)... and in the same directory.

ie:
Neuro_-_Remix.mp3
Neuro_-_Remix.cue

With this, you will get one entry in your playlist which will show the current track title in the title field which it gets from the cue, the track number will be the position in the cue file, and the album name will be the title set in the cue file.
Depending on which amarok context browser theme you're using, the contents of the complete track will be shown as in the screenshot below.

For example, this is an excerpt from a .cue I have...

Code: Select all
PERFORMER "Neuro"
TITLE "Neuro - Remix"
FILE "Neuro_-_Remix.mp3" BINARY
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Intro"
    PERFORMER "1200 mics"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Extra Mundane"
    PERFORMER "Solaris"
    INDEX 01 00:27:00
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Neighbor of the Beast"
    PERFORMER "Logic Bomb"
    INDEX 01 09:34:00

It looks like this in amarok:

Last edited by dangle_wtf on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
hoelk
Registered Member

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:47 am
ah okay thanks, i would prefere it to be displayed as sperate tracks in the playlist though, for shuffeling purposes
deloco
Registered Member

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:55 am
That's a real nice feature... I have a Live-Recorded-Album as one MP3-File and wiht this I am finally able to select specific Tracks... Thanks

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.