This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok buddylist? Erm...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stokedfish

Amarok buddylist? Erm...

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:48 am
Uhh...how about adding a buddylist to Amarok?

You could use the last.fm nickname for this...

(this feature requires signing up with last.fm)

I mean, think about it...you could add fancy stuff like...

---

[x] send song to user xyz

(when right-clicking on a song in the playlist...could use the bttorrent protocol? similar to allpeers?)

[x] watch user

(adds an additional context box, showing what tracks your buddy is listening to, could be last.fm powered?)

[x] online notification

(tells you when a user is online/scrobbling/amaroking...whatever)

[x] stream track

(streams a track to the user, he can tune in to your station)

[x] send suggestion

(right-click on a track, choose username...
...he/she will get a msg like "user xy recommends artist yx to you" or the first 10 secs could play or sth)

[x] send album cover / lyrics

(says it all)

[x] artist tracking

(shows who of your buddies listen to the same artist that you're playing...last.fm powered?)

[x] check stats

(checks the amarok stats of user xy...why not make stats shared?)

[x] new album notifications

(your buddy xy just added the album blah - bleh to his/her collection)

[x] share playlist

(suggests playlist to a buddy)

[x] playlist notifications

(xyz has just added a playlist called "lalala" to this collection, list tracks...)

[x] podcast notifications

(see above)

[x] suggest podcast

(suggests podcast to user xyz...auto-add to podcasts if accepted)

[x] send theme

(sends theme to user xy...auto-add to themes if accepted)

[x] send script

(same for scripts...auto-add to scripts if accepted)

[x] user infos

(user info shows currently playing track, a generated amarok screenshot, some stats, bla bla...)

[x] fan ranks

(you listen to "dead can dance", amarok is like...
"peter is the biggest dcd fan in your buddylist and has 1 zillion tracks of that band...browse?" hahaha...)

[x] add to kopete

(make the buddy-list thing shared with kopete/kontact)

And and and....

---

I know that some of this is similar to messenger and last.fm stuff...
...oh well, now that I think about it...maybe my idea is utter ****!

Sending it out anyway...haha... o.O

Last edited by stokedfish on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Amarok buddylist? Erm...

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:00 am
Well KDE4 is going to have some sort of IM framework where maybe this features would come in mostly for free.

Amarok Developer
stokedfish

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:35 am
IM framework? *applauds* hehe... :)
stokedfish

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 pm
Copy'n'paste from the Kopete mailinglist...

---

I know that some of those features are already possible with Kopete.

But most of them are music-related (!) and not just some kind of messaging. Also, I see no reason why a music-player such as Amarok should not move towards a social-networking-kinda-music-player thing...actually, it already does, when I see what they do with the last.fm integration stuff.

At least sharing of playlists, podcasts, radio-feeds and such with others INSIDE amarok would be cool...you listen to a song or podcast and can just right-click on it and send a suggestion to another Amarok user right away...I really think such features would be great for Amarok 2.0!

And why would the bt-protocol not work for the mentioned case? Allpeers does exactly this with the bt-protocol and it works like a charm, although it's still in beta stage.

I just see no reason why Amarok should not head to be a personal music player that makes it possible to enjoy music in a kind of network and share stuff with your friends. I'm not saying you should add non-music related stuff and I don't want to turn Amarok into a second myspace/last.fm or filesharing-network either...but having the possibility to do some of the suggested features right in the player would be a great thing!

And I still think that should be discussed on the Amarok mailinglist, but uhh...
stokedfish

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:34 pm
Looking over the pond... ;)

Sarted: What other goodies can we expect from a future version of BMPx (besides video and skin support)?

...I've planned for a good couple of months to keep a BMPx-side Buddy List which would be comprised of, let's say for one particular person, his/her email address,  last.fm account name, IM (AIM/MSN/ICQ/Jabber/etc..) account, myspace account (well I can't really say I like myspace but this is an entirely personal opinion!), livejournal account, etc. And this thing should be "active" and not just "passive": it shouldn't be just a list of all this information. If it was only that, then you could scribble this down with some notepad-like app as a text file. It must be active in the sense that it ties this information together and makes the various services ( last.fm, livejournal, IM accounts, etc) interoperate within BMPx. We already have rather primitive support for things like this (relatively spoken to how it should look like in the end), for example recommendation of music to your last.fm friends from within BMPx itself...

http://linuxinterviews.com/index.php?op ... 6&Itemid=2