This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Videos Transfer but can't find on iPod

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gandalf2041
Registered Member
At the moment, I'm running Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 with the Amarok repo version 1.4.2.  I've read that this version supports video.  When I drag my .mp4 movie from the file system, it shows up in the transfer queue.  Upon hitting transfer, Amarok says that everything transferred successfully; however, I can't seem to find the video anywhere on my ipod.  After reading a little more, it seemed that I would have to compile the latest version of libgpod from CVS.  I did this successfully but I am getting the same results.  A couple of questions:

1. Is the libgpod CVS version still necessary (it seemed to transfer OK on my first attempt from the Ubuntu repos)?
2. Does the software require a specific extension...not format, I know that is correct after converting to mpeg4 with ffmpeg?
3. If this file is actually transferring, where did it go and why isn't it showing up in any of the Video menus?
4. Since I run Gnome, could I be missing some required KDE libraries (I just assumed Amarok brought over what it needed)?

On subsequent attempt to transfer the video, Amarok even told me that the file already exists on the device.  On a related note:  Can Amarok transfer pictures as well?  I know it's a music player...and  a damn good one...but, it's also turning into the best damn ipod management software on Linux.  :wink:
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
You still need libgpod from cvs. And after this, you have to recompile (at least) Amarok's ipod plugin - as the newly available features will only be used if they are available at compile time.

As Amarok is a music player, it assumes that .mp4 files are audio. Thus, these files will be transferred as audio. Rename them to .m4v, then they should be transferred as video.

Take all this with a grain of salt: As I don't have an ipod video, I cannot know for sure, though.
gandalf2041
Registered Member
Thanks for the quick response!  :smilie: Is there a way to recompile just the plugin or do I need to do a full recompile?
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
I think it's much easier to compile the whole of Amarok. Otherwise it would be really hard to get the plugin to use the right set of includes while compiling.
gandalf2041
Registered Member
Makes sense.  I'll give it a try this weekend.