This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Gen 2 iPod Nanos and cover art

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
camelreef
Registered Member

Gen 2 iPod Nanos and cover art

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:09 pm
Hi,

I just received a brand new 4GB gen 2 iPod Nano (the new ones, looking like a squashed Mini).

The first thing I did was to plug it into Amarok.

I can transfer, delete, etc... all normally. But there is no cover art that get transfered.

I then check with an iTunes 7 on Windows. Cover art is still a feature.

All is still fine with my Gen 1 2GB Nano.

I haven't found anything on the subject so far, so I though I might ask before opening a bug.

Thanks,

Nico
camelreef
Registered Member

Re: Gen 2 iPod Nanos and cover art

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:28 pm
hmm,

would the CVS version of libgpod, updated to recognize the latest series of iPods and such, help, without needing a change in Amarok?

Nico
gatzby
Registered Member

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:08 pm
Hi,

I also have this issue. Just got a new 8gb ipod nano to work out with... The ipod works (except udev/hal/dbus -> gets recognized as via raid) now, but had to upgrade libgpod...

Now libgpod is at version 0.40, I can transfer music/playlists (but no autodetection of ipod, had to set it up manually). No cover art though... it does not end up on the device...

Is there a differnce between 0.40 and cvs for libgpod ?

Nick
gatzby
Registered Member

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:25 pm
Hi,

Just played around some more, with libgpod 0.40 and gtkpod 0.99.8 i can transfer coverart to my nano. The key seems to be that you need to manually select what ipod you have with gtkpod, and then it realizes that it supports artwork.
Could this functionality also be included in amarok ?

Nick
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:08 pm
Amarok needs to be built against libgpod 0.40. Just upgrading the lib won't do.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
scido
Registered Member

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:21 pm
Hi guys, as a lot of iPod owner, I can't have cover art in my 5th iPod Nano 4Gb, after firmware upgrade to 1.2 (needed to erase kernel problem)
I found that I could use the new libgpod (version 0.4.0), and so I tried to compile amarok against this new lib. So I did:

1- downloaded the new libgpod-0.4.0 source package from debian-multimedia (I use Kubuntu so I need deb package)
2- compiled new libgpod packages (libgpod0, libgpod-common, libgpod-dev, python-gpod) e installed all of them
3- downloaded amarok source (from kubuntu repositories) e re-compiled it using dpkg-buildpackage

In that way, I hoped, I should have had a new amarok package compiled against libgpod-0.4.0. But, we I tried to copy mp3 files to my iPod, I can copy music, but I can't have cover art.

So, please, what I miss???
Note that I'm able to copy cover using gtkpod -0.99.8-

Many thanks
bye
Scido
camelreef
Registered Member

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:15 pm
Same here...

I compiled libgpod-0.4 from the Marillat Sources, installed all packages.

I checked that the include file had the new iPods info. Good.

I then recompiled the Amarok packages using the Ubuntu Edgy sources, it showed support for iPod with cover art on, then installed all.

Same situation...

I am certainly missing something...

BTW, I restored a Gen 1 Nano to version 1.3 of the firmware on iTunes 7, and now I lack cover art support on Gen 1 too. Dang it !

Does the fact that the iPods touched iTunes 7 at some point in their life kill everything?

Shall I get gtkpod's latest version compiled in order to reset the iPods?

Nico

Last edited by camelreef on Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sebr

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:35 pm
Basically, the iPod sysinfo is not known about for the 5.5G ipods because of some structural changes in the file structure.

The only way to fix this at the moment is to get a copy of latest gtk-pod, mount the ipod and force the iPod type and generation. Once this is done, save the iTunesDB, and it should be fixed.

We are working on this functionality within Amarok, stay tuned
camelreef
Registered Member

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:13 pm
I have built the gtkpod-aac from Marillat, after building a dependent library...

And indeed, just telling it what iPod model is connected does the trick!

No need to delete or rebuild the content of the iPod, and it works with Gen 1 and 2 just the same.

Aaaaaah.... the pleasure of having the useless, hence absolutely necessary, feature of cover art!

Many thanks for pointers and directions !

Nico

Last edited by camelreef on Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camelreef
Registered Member

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 pm
Seb Ruiz wrote:
We are working on this functionality within Amarok, stay tuned

In http://amarok.kde.org/content/view/84/66/ I read: New iPods would not get initialized.

Is this what you meant?

No need to use GTKPOD?

But I still need libgpod 0.4, and build Amarok against it, isn't it?

Nico
Kay
Registered Member

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:53 pm
I get an ipod nano black at christmas. After upgrade the firmware to 1.1.1 (was: 1.1) cover art don't work. With 1.1 it has worked.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:37 pm
Perhaps your sysinfo file was erased by the upgrade? Consult this thread for info on how to set it again.
Kay
Registered Member

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:30 pm
Thank you for this hint. Now it works.