This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

integrated p2p?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
plb
Registered Member

integrated p2p?

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:10 pm
Amarok is my player of choice though I just noticed a interesting new feature in the latest BMPx 0.30 that was just released yesterday that I find quite appealing...intergrated p2p through soulseek network. I think something like this in amarok would be pretty cool. There could be a side tab (next to the context, collection etc) which could mimick something like limewires search bar and the portion of amarok that normally displays the playlist could display the downloadds....I'm sure some won't like this idea and say that amarok is nothing more than a media player but I think it would be rather interesting especially since at this point I'm not familiar with any qt based p2p apps that are actually "good" Anyway I'd be interested in hearing some opinions.
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Re: integrated p2p?

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:23 pm
1) Amarok's job is to play music, not steal it :)
2) Legality issues could get really messy
3) I truly do not see the point.
plb
Registered Member

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:27 pm
oh cmon p2p doesn't "always" mean stealing =P
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:42 am
No, P2P won't happen. But in 1.4.4 we'll have an integrated music store.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
stokedfish

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:16 am
I don't want P2P either, but at least when I drag a song from the playlist to a buddy in Kopete, something should happen...

---> http://amarok.kde.org/forum/index.php/t ... html  ;)
stokedfish

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:32 am

Last edited by stokedfish on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:53 am
dunno what kopete's prob is - dragging a track from Amarok to a user in konversation transfers the file just fine ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
plb
Registered Member

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:17 pm

That is pretty nice...I don't see what the problem is with p2p...If it's a legal issue can't you just not include any servers to connect to and let people add their own?
deadchip
Registered Member

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 am
plb wrote:If it's a legal issue can't you just not include any servers to connect to and let people add their own?

Yep.

BMP itself does not have any means nor code to "perform" Soulseek downloads. It uses the moodriver C++ class/lib (http://projects.beep-media-player.org/index.php/Main/Moodriver) which i wrote for connectivity with museekd, and only in combination with that, and museekd, you can actually download stuff.

This way we're personally legally on the clear side, and what users do with it is really up to them. If they install e.g. Museek, then they can as well use the museek daemon from within BMP, i don't have any problems with that, as long as the BMP code by itself can not be classified as a Peer-to-Peer application, which, as i've outlined above, it can't.

Last edited by deadchip on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
frego
Registered Member

Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:08 pm
I like how MythTV has the torrent plug-in.  It's not officially supported, but with it, one can schedule downloads of recurring programs like the Daily Show.  Perhaps a similar modular and unsupported model could be used for Amarok.  Remember, not all torrents are illegal.  What the end user chooses to do with Torrents is his or her responsibility. 
Headrush
Registered Member

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:03 pm
Forget the P2P stuff.

All these people that say they are grabbing music using p2p that is legit are full of it. And we all know the majority of people WILL be downloading illegal stuff.
Amarok is a great program and doesn't need this kind of ****.

There are enough p2p programs for you illegal downloaders, you're getting really lazy if you need amarok integration also.  :p
deloco
Registered Member

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:47 am
I think P2P is not needed in amarok... But a more usable DAAP (iTunes-Sharing) feature would be great. Maybe a DAAP-Button, at the Collection-Preferences... Most of my Friends use Windows or MacOS and for these OS iTunes is THE Music-Player. So to listen Music from a friends Notebook and look through his library a usable DAAp-Integration would be great. I don't like the way it's integrated now, it just doesn't work "Out-of-the-box-like-in-iTunes"... Also the possibility to copy files via DAAP would be great, that would be a comfortable way to copy Musik via Network from a friend's PC or Mac...  Please don't come up with legal-issues... 15 Years ago, I went to my friend and copied all his cool albums to tape.... That was legal... I think the possibilty to copy Music via Network (NOT internet) would be great...

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.