This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Ability to love (for last.fm) tracks in the collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bssteph
Registered Member
Simple request really. Currently (in 1.4.3) the skip/love/ban buttons only work when you're listening to a lastfm:// stream. For skip and ban that makes sense, but not love. Subscribers (myself included) get access to a "loved tracks" stream, which would be insanely nice for me when I'm not at my desktop. However the ONLY way to add tracks to this stream is while scrobbling (i.e. there is no web interface).

The official last.fm player/client thing can do it, but Amarok can't and I really wish it could.

If anyone is thinking "just use the rating system", yes, I know about the rating system and I like it just fine. But this request is solely so I can get loved tracks to last.fm and have the most awesome stream on the planet. ;)

Looking at the code this seems like a non-trivial thing to do (the controller the function resides in [LastFm::Controller, right?] is only alive while playing a last.fm stream, as best as I can tell), but probably not too difficult. I'm just too unfamiliar with the controller interactions or else I'd to it myself. :)

Thanks.
s3ntient
Registered Member
I'd also like to see this feature added
Scytale
Registered Member
(Registered just for replying to this topic...)

Me too, me too. This is one of the last steps to make Amarok the best last.fm compatible player. Is there a bug report about it? Should I file one?
YAOMTC
Registered Member
Scytale wrote:(Registered just for replying to this topic...)

Me too, me too. This is one of the last steps to make Amarok the best last.fm compatible player.

I second both those statements. Could this possibly be one of the improvements in 2.0?
lfranchi
KDE Developer
i believe that in order to support this kind of functionality, amarok needs to implement the new (and undocumented) version of the last.fm protocol.

the only documentation on the new protocol standard is the sourcecode of the official last.fm client, and currently, none of us have the time/will to extract the protocol from that and re-implement it in amarok.

that said, i really want this feature too :)

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
sprogg2001
Registered Member
sorry just wanted to add my two cents and say this is a great idea and I second it if ever a Dev decides to implement it.
bjtuna
Registered Member
I can't find any documentation on Last.fm's site so this may just be a shot in the dark but -- on the Mac, the iTunes plugin for Last.fm seems to be communicating somehow to the Last.fm client app, so whatever you're playing in iTunes appears in the Last.fm client as well. Then you can use the Last.fm client to 'Love', 'Ban', etc.

So like I said, I can't find any documentation on this, but perhaps Amarok's Last.fm support could be re-rigged in the future to communicate with the Last.fm client in the same way, instead of talking directly to the Last.fm servers as it does now.

Although I agree, it would be equally (if not more) slick if I could Love/Ban from within Amarok :)

If I find anything out, I'll post here.

-B
Loetje
Registered Member
I'd also LOVE to have this feature added
Hydrogen
Registered Member
Ask and you shall receive :)

Amarok 2.0 now has this support.
Ramblurr
Registered Member
OS