This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

smooth like butta

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jimbren
Registered Member

smooth like butta

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:33 pm
:biggrin:

About a month ago, Gnomad2 broke for no apperent reason that I could determine, and I couldn't fix it.  I wrestled with it for a week or so when I had the time, and gave up in frustration, deciding once again to move onto other apps that would let me talk to my Nomad Zen.  I've always been mildly irritated by the applications that have been built that kind of work, but not really.  Going through howtos and forums always made me think that it was some odd thing with my machine that made it not work. 

I made a few cursory attempts with Amarok, but honestly didn't bother to probe enough to even read up on how it was supposed to work.  I assumed that Amarok was a music player first, and really wasn't going to work very well as a tool to interact with my mp3 player.  Last week I stumbled through an entry in the Ubuntu forums that support for the Creative players wasn't built into the official Ubuntu packages.  I removed Amarok, downloaded the source and dependancies, and installed it without an issue.

I connected my Zen and...it was not detected.  Back to the drawing board.  Maybe I should by a damn iPod and quit trying to be so cheap.

Then yesterday I decided to try again before making another frustrating attempt to get gnomad2 to work. 

Amarok worked beautifully.  Connected, pulled up the contents of my player, and transfers incredibly fast. 

Seems the first time I tried, my damn player had locked up and I didn't notice. 

I love it. 

Thanks to everyone who develops and maintains this great application. 

kisses,

jimbo
oggb4mp3
Registered Member

Re: smooth like butta

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:43 pm
Glad to hear you got it working so easily.  Rok on!!  :cool:
deloco
Registered Member

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:29 pm
How did you get libmtp to work in user-mode (logged in as user, not root)???
I just can't get my Zen Touch to work :-(

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.
dangle_wtf

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:45 pm
We didn't - earlier Creative Nomad players use libnjb :)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
deloco
Registered Member

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Actually the question was aimed at one person... :-)
Sorry, I overread that it was an Nomad Zen... I just saw the word "Zen" and thought it had to be a newer one, with this f****d-up firmware that onlyupports MTP... Can someboday tell why I updated my firmware and two months later chngaed from Windows to Linux? You can not imagine how I felt, when I found out, that MTP doesn't work in Linux... So now there is this libmtp-library, but I just can't get it to work... It's so sad.. I'm almost in the mood to buy an iPod...

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.