This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Squeezebox3 support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tirabosco
Registered Member

Squeezebox3 support

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:26 pm
Make it possible to use amarok to browse and organize the music collection and to stream playing tracks to the squeezebox3.

C'mon guys, amarok needs some integrated and well working and sound quality providing solution for streaming music programmed and mantained properly by the core programmers.  :p

Bye, tira.
tirabosco
Registered Member

Re: Squeezebox3 support

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:21 am
BIG BUMP. ;)
I am now the owner of a nice Squeezebox3 and also upgraded my amp and speakers. While navigating and playing music with the SB remote works surprisingly well the slimserver web interface doesn't cut it for me. I still miss the "VNC exports Amarok display to Nokia770 screen" solution I had before (with amp still attached to computer soundcard then). Controlling and exploring the playing music with the Amarok interface on a high-resolution handheld screen was really neat.
With the broader availability of the SB (now Logitech) and the Nokia880 around and the advent of affordable devices like the Asus EEE PC (200-300€) it would be nice to have support for network players on the future features list. Don't others think the same?
Bye, tirabosco.

EDIT: This post seems to have had quite a few views....

Last edited by tirabosco on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:50 pm
lemme get this straight... you want the existing amarok devs to build support for a particular piece of hardware? What  makes you think any of them have access to this hardware? Pretty much all the device support in amarok has been written by either the original devs when they have aquired various pieces of hardware, or people who have access to particular devices and have contributed their own code to the amarok project and joined the team to support their contribution.

Two main ways to get support for your hardware; donate or loan such hardware to a dev, or write the support (or work closely with someone who will do it for you) yourself.  It sounds callous, but unless a dev has the hardware, how are they meant to code for it?

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
tirabosco
Registered Member

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:27 am
dangle_wtf wrote:lemme get this straight... you want the existing amarok devs to build support for a particular piece of hardware?

No, I certainly don't ask this for a particular piece of hardware (though I must admit that the second post in some parts sounds like I would, sorry for being unclear).
IMO Amarok is the best way to browse, listen and explore music you have on a computer, the best man-music interface there is for that atm (that I know of ;)).
Most of all I wanted to point out that IMO being able to use Amarok as control point for speaker-computer detached systems like the emerging network audio players would be really neat and attractive, especially and specifically if done from a handheld or small portable PC, which are becoming affordable. VNC is already here and easy to set up.
There is already an Amarok  script around that interfaces with the SB3 and sends it the URL of the playing song from Amarok to its server software slimserver to play, but it has 2 big problems: First the current song is also played by the Amarok engine (can be a resource problem, not the showstopper though), second and severe, songs tend to be cut at the end because songs on the SB start a little bit later (songs go over network, are buffered on SB) and the Amarok engine of course finishes a song earlier and notifies the script which immediately tells slimserver to play the next song. Looking at the docs on the wiki there doesn't seem a way to solve any of these problems efficiently atm, since the notifications a script can get from Amarok are not suited for that now.
So, to reformulate my inquiry, some generic support for streaming music devices is needed IMO. With that in place the rest can be done with scripts.
Please consider to put this on your future feature list.

Thanks, tirabosco.