This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New way of browsing through the playlist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Joakim
Registered Member
I'd like to see a new way of browsing through your playlist. I really like they way you browse through the albums of an artist you're listening to in the sidebar. Something I'd like to see for everything in your playlist.

Instead of showing all the songs, it should show the albums, sorted by the artist name as well as being uncollapsable, just like in the sidebar.

You could also be able to browse through the playlist by artist, where the albums gets uncollapsed as well as the albums itself.

Double clicking on an artist or an album would bring up only that artist or album in the playlist. You should also be able to go back to the previous setting with a back/forward button.

I wrote some more of my personal opinion regarding this on my blog too, http://www.joakim.nl/wordpress/2006/10/ ... on-amarok/

Here's a simple mockup of how it could look like as well.

Btw, I've posted this on kde-look.org as well.
deloco
Registered Member
Hm.. Isn't the Playlist actually a list of the Songs that are to be played... Normally a Playlist should show the first Song to be played as Top-Entry and the last Song to be played as Last entry and it should play all the way through the list, till the last Tune is played.

I think some cool features could be added, I would like to see the Cover of the Tracks in the playlist, but why should one browse the playlist by Artist? It's a Playlist. To view Tracks of an Artist there is the Collection-Browser. I like the Playlist as it is... I ust to make "a mix" of my COllection for parties or just the Music I want to hear now...
Of course, when you want to play 4 or 5 ALbums in a row it would be nice toonly show the Albums in the Playlist and not the actual Songs, but I don't think it's a needed feature.

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.
Joakim
Registered Member
deloco wrote:Hm.. Isn't the Playlist actually a list of the Songs that are to be played... Normally a Playlist should show the first Song to be played as Top-Entry and the last Song to be played as Last entry and it should play all the way through the list, till the last Tune is played.

I think some cool features could be added, I would like to see the Cover of the Tracks in the playlist, but why should one browse the playlist by Artist? It's a Playlist. To view Tracks of an Artist there is the Collection-Browser. I like the Playlist as it is... I ust to make "a mix" of my COllection for parties or just the Music I want to hear now...
Of course, when you want to play 4 or 5 ALbums in a row it would be nice toonly show the Albums in the Playlist and not the actual Songs, but I don't think it's a needed feature.

Playlists as such are outdated. That's what you sat and did in Winamp all those years ago. It's more of searching and being able to browse through your "playlist" nowadays. I only called it the playlist as it's shorter than to say "the area of amarok where the playlist is".

The people over at kde-look seems to have gotten the hang of the idea at least!

I think windows media player 9 kind of has this feature, being able to browse through your collection in the main window and therefore mixing together the collection browser and the playlist, as the playlist is made automatically with what you choose from the browser without you changing the view or having to click on small plusses everywhere.
stokedfish
Awesome mockup, great idea!
deloco
Registered Member
I still think that Playlists are lists with the Songs that going to be played... MP3-Players (at least big ones) have Playlists, and SOftware should also have a list with the SOngs that going to be played...

I mean... When I have a Party, I want a playlist that defines what music is played...
Okay, I see the point that the ylist shouldn't be the Main-View of amarok... But I want to have a window in which I see the Songs that are played...

Joakim
Registered Member
Of course you should be able to have it just like you have now, by showing your playlist. This would be an alternative!
deloco
Registered Member
Well as alternative I would be supporting your suggestion! Everyone should be able to have it like he wants! Of course amarok would be very complex then... But the devs have done so much for us all, I think hey will find a way to make us all happy!

hvidgaard
Registered Member
I think this would be the way to give Amarok the edge over other players :) why don't implement it before someone else does? This also gives the oppetunity to make much better support for cue-files and one-file albums :)
Juan Ehrenhaus
Registered Member
why not add a feature to browse the playlist adding some criteria to do this with tabs a la FALF? ( see attached link):
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=43961

Is this not a new idea?  :wink:
Regards,
Juan Ehrenhaus