This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

iPod integration and alternate firmwares

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
AdamKili
Registered Member
I'm thinking of buying a 80GB iPod 5G updated and was wondering how well Amarok integrates with it. Here are my questions:

1. How well does music syncronization work? Is album art transfered? If you change the ID3 tags of a file on your computer, does Amarok update the tags on the iPod also?

2. Does anyone have experience with RockBox? How well is it's syncronization with Amarok? Again, is album art transfered and are ID3 tags updated? How much is the audio quality improved over Apple's firmware, if at all?

3. How about iPod Linux? It didn't look as good as RockBox, but any opinions or experience?
metalcoat
Registered Member
Syncronization is great although to get the whole thing to work everything must be compiled (etc. amarok,ligpod,gtkpod) album art works only if gtkpod is installed and set to the 80gb ipod (if you have 8000+ songs like I do ipod will slow). Haven't tested the ID3 tags yet, but will update.

RockBox does not work with the new 80gb (yet, although there is much work being done, check the forums of rockbox under new ports), Its syncronization in amarok is great as well, since I have used with past 30gb, I personally could not get album art to work unless embedded in the tag which amarok has a script for. Haven't noticed audio quality although more formats supported.

Ipod Linux will also have limited success with the new ipod, Don't think of using it as an alternative to Apples or Rockbox as is does not do the same as you think.

Further more, all latter questions can be directed to both Rockbox and Ipod Linux forums as many of your questions can be answered with quick searches through their forums.

Metalcoat