This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok on a very old machine (Pentium III 500)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
abobobo
Hi,

I wanted to say that using a remote MySQL DB is really better when you have a very old computer.

Mine is a laptop with a Pentium III 500 Mhz, it's connected through WIFI 54Mb/s in samba to my music and at first I did the collectiondb in sql Lite on it.

Now I have done the mysql DB on the samba server and the performances are really better. (In fact it help because there is no write to its hard disk, everything is remote)

I created a script that "renice amarok" to priority -15 in order not to have any "cuts" in the sound (the script have to be ran as root, in order to have the right to renice) and I also disable arts in kde and use the xine engine (which seems to be really better in my case)

I still have some "cuts" while playing, and I would like to find a way to "bufferize" 10 seconds of music in order to avoid these cuts

I wanted to know if some of you have the same kind of situation and what they did to have a nice configuration

Bye