This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Re: Request: Collection / Playlist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jean Of mArc
Registered Member

Request: Collection / Playlist

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:42 pm
I would like to request a very useful feature that many other music players out there already have, and this is a way to view, search and browse through your collection in a way that looks like a playlist. Basically, it would be a separator in the playlist: On the top would be the standard playlist (what's playing, what's coming up), but on the bottom is your whole collection, so that it has columns such as title/artist/album etc. This is really useful in that it allows you to look through your whole library quickly by any type, not just artist or album on the left-hand side.

I used this feature extensively in MediaMonkey (back in my windows days), and it's honestly the only thing that I find really annoying about amarok (the fact that it doesn't have this feature).
What are the odds of it being added?

Thanks!

Jean Of mArc
dangle_wtf

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 am
have you considered using flat mode in the collection browser? When you initially enable it, it shows no tracks - but enter something in the filter bar, and it will appear. There's a little bit of info about it in the amarok handbook. (help menu > Handbook)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Jean Of mArc
Registered Member

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:27 am
Hey, this is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thanks for point it out, dangle_wtf!

But is there a way for it to show your whole collection without entering search terms? I like having my whole collection at my disposal to browse, not to just type in search terms.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Jean Of mArc on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
yesac142
Registered Member

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:04 pm
I would also like to see this type of feature.  I'd like to have a playlist that isn't actually playing (the collection browser isn't quite the same).  I used this type of feature a lot with winamp.

I'm sure you guys hate the "make it like winamp/itunes/media monkey" type comments.  Its just an example of something I would like to see.  Amarok is awsome overall.
Frenris
Registered Member

Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:35 am
What I would like would be a button beside "clear playlist" and "save playlist" that would load the library to the current playlist. I'd hack it for myself if I was competent.

Combined with tabbed playlist management (which would also be awesome) it would do what is being suggested.

Last edited by Frenris on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:04 am
Is it really so difficult to create your own playlist with every track in your collection, save it AS a playlist, then browse it using the playlist browser?

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
yesac142
Registered Member

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:03 pm
dangle_wtf wrote:Is it really so difficult to create your own playlist with every track in your collection, save it AS a playlist, then browse it using the playlist browser?

No, that's not difficult, but also not really what we're looking for.  It seems that we're all looking for something a bit different, but all could be solved by the same functionality.  Tabbed playlists sounds awesome.  There are plenty of cases where browsing outside the current playlist is a useful function.  The collection browser isn't enough for some of us.  Can we live without the function?  Obviously, we are here and I personally still love Amarok.  This is, however, the functionality that I would most like to see added to the project.