This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Various artists vs Single artists compilation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kraymer
Registered Member
Hi,

I have many 7'' and 12'' vinyls rips in my collection.
For theses songs, i fill the album tag with the string 7 '' (respectively 12").
So the artists names are differents but the album name is the same. I'd like that Amarok display the albums in the context browser under the "artist section" and not the "compilation section".
For some reasons, i have some songs under the "Artist" tab and others songs under the "compilation", i'd like to understand why.

Example :
http://kraymer.free.fr/public/context.jpg
Here the 7'' are ok but 12'' are not. For other artists it will be the opposite ...

Can it be the "Compilation" id3 tag that i've set with Itunes that mess up the whole (don't think so because i set it to 'No' for all these songs) ?
Is there a linux tag editor  that enables to set this 'Compilation' tag ?

Thanx for your help
kraymer
Registered Member
Just after having posted I found part of the solution  :rolleyes:

By right cliking on the tracks i can set "Ne pas afficher en dessous des artistes variés" (i guess it must be called in english ~ "Don't Display Under Various Artists" aka DDUVA or smthing like that) which fix the problem.

Few questions about that :
- As i understand it, this feature DDUVA is a way to force Amarok to display tracks in the context browser under a specific tab ('various artists' or artist). But it does not edit the tags, so if i lose my collection and rebuild it from scratch, i will have to manually redo the operation for each track, right ?

- In the collection 'tab'. If i right clik a song, i have this option DDUVA available. But if i right click the artist name (assume i group my songs following these levels : Artist / Albums), the option is no more available, why ?

- Is there another way to solve the problem , based on id3 tags ?
marcel
Registered Member
OS
kraymer wrote:- Is there another way to solve the problem , based on id3 tags ?

Choose unique album names. Looks like Amarok is confused because you just have the album name "12''" for multiple artist. This really looks like a compilation. If you would choose a name like "ArtistX 12''" or whatever, Amarok would guess it right.

There is currently no way to tell Amarok that a certain artist is never part of a compilation. (Though a nice option would be to tell Amarok to never asume that an album is a compilation unless you tell it so - might be worth a wish in the bugtracking system)

You probably want to back up your collection (~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/) anyway.
dangle_wtf
Generally, if you consider the single (either 7" or 12") a discrete release, in that it has its own record company ID no. etc, then you'd use the title of the main A-side track (if there are more than one) as the album title, and perhaps add [7" single] or similar to the end of that title. There are specific examples of this on musicbrainz if you care to use their naming conventions.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"