This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Musicbrains. How?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mattlach
Registered Member

Musicbrains. How?

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:16 pm
Hi all.

I did some searches and did not come up with any answers, so forgive me if this is a silly question.

I keep seeing references to that I should be able to search tag my files in amarok using musicbrains metadata, but I can't seem to figure out how!

It loads information from musicbrains for files I already have tagged. Is there a button somewhere to analyze and search musicbrains that I am missing?

Appreciate the help!

--Matt
mattlach
Registered Member

Re: Musicbrains. How?

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Alright.

I found the button in the "edit track information" section when only one track is selected, but mine is greyed out.  I'll have to do some further research...
mattlach
Registered Member

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:42 am
Seems I figured out why it's greyed out...

There appears to be a little **** contest between the Gentoo dev's and musicbrains regarding the buffer overflow issues in libtunepimp 1.4.2, and as such even with the 1.5 version out they have masked all ebuilds of libtunepimp, and disabled the feature in all depending packages.

So if you are using Gentoo the only way to get musicbrainz to work is to unmask lintunejuice 1.5, and edit the ebuild for amarok chaing the make variables manually to include musicbrainz support...
tante
Registered Member

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:31 pm
The developer who's taking care of amarok is Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò, you can read his (quite often updated) blog at http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/ .
If you read how much time he spends into fixing all kinds of bugs in different programs, you'll realize that he's not disabling musicbrainz "just because" but because he's got damn good reasons to (search his blog, he's written something about it a few months ago).

"Governments can be useful to the governed only so long as inherent
tendencies toward tyranny are restrained."
Frank Herbert, 'God Emperor Of Dune'
mattlach
Registered Member

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Jürgen Geuter wrote:The developer who's taking care of amarok is Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò, you can read his (quite often updated) blog at http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/ .
If you read how much time he spends into fixing all kinds of bugs in different programs, you'll realize that he's not disabling musicbrainz "just because" but because he's got damn good reasons to (search his blog, he's written something about it a few months ago).

I've read the bug report for the issue, and it could be that I don't quite understand his reasons.  Initially it was disabled because of the buffer overflow issue, but from his description in the bug report, it sounds like it currently is a matter of principle.  Could be that I misread it though.

I don't mean to insult the man, as I am greatful for his - and every other dev's - work on the Gentoo project, I just find it hard to believe that of all distributions with capable dev's he's the only one that seems to have an issue with v 1.5 of libtunepimp...
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:49 am
Libtunepimp is a steaming piece of ****, and Flameeyes is not the only guy to hate it. We Amarok developers have more than once been tempted to simply *remove* musicbrainz support altogether. Alas, since we love our users so very much, we've instead put up with working around obscure bugs.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:24 am
you're a good man, markey ;)

unmasking packages is not something that should be beyond the average gentoo user anyway - if you're using amarok 1.4.4 you've already figured out how to do so...

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"