This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do the developers feel about Exaile?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
EvilGnome
Registered Member
I just discovered the Exaile project ( http://www.exaile.org/ ) which seems to be aiming to recreate Amarok with GTK+. I was just wondering how the Amarok developers feel about this. Are you guys flattered? Offended? Surprised?

By the way, it's not nearly as visually appealing as Amarok and I especially dislike the absence of certain options that Amarok gives me. I just had to take a look when I heard that there was an "Amarok clone for GTK+" -- I am a gnome user, but I love Amarok, Kaddressbook, Korganizer, and Kopete. But mostly Amarok.

I should also mention that I have yet to actually play any music with Exaile, because it is scanning my music folder impossibly slowly.

Last edited by EvilGnome on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

dangle_wtf
dunno about the devs, or the project, but I kinda like Exaile :D

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
vaughn
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:dunno about the devs, or the project, but I kinda like Exaile :D

I like the layout of Exaile, but it's podcasting support is extremely primitive and as of the last release, it didn't support open source portable music players such as the Cowon iAudio F2 (it bends over backwards for the closed-source iPod however; go figure  :rolleyes:).
Hydrogen
Registered Member
It aint no Amarok :)

I've seen a common trend in gnome.  Read a gnome release and you will see it adding support for all sorts of things that kde already has and trying to repackage them to sound innovative, I look at exaile in the same way.  Its repackaging Amarok and trying to make it sound innovative.  Following this trend, Exaile/Gnome are going to be far behind when kde4/amarok2 comes out, as everything is changing and they will need to innovate from scratch.
vaughn
Registered Member
I hadn't thought of it that way. I use and like gnome, but I have a feeling I liked it better because it works better with Ubuntu. I had a hard time with Kubuntu, but it could just be that I'm a linux noob. When Feisty comes out, I'll give KDE another look.