This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Volume vs. VLC

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tookelso
Registered Member

Volume vs. VLC

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:37 am
Hello,

I'm new to Linux, and am using Ubuntu Dapper.  I've been playing around with the various audio software.  I really like Amarok, but noticed that the volume is very low compared to VLC media player.

I'm using Amarok v 1.4.3 and VLC media player 0.8.4.

I'm using the default settings from both players. Both have the default equalizer settings selected. In Amarok, I went to Settings...Engine, and found that it's using the "xine" engine under "Sound System", with speaker arrangement set to 2.0.

In VLC, I went to "Settings" ... "Preferences" and found a slider bar for my default audio volume, and it was set to 256. I didn't find anything relating to "xine" or "engines".

I'd really like to beef Amarok's volume up a bit, and was wondering why VLC is much louder?  Is it using the "Gstreamer" sound engine?  I've seen that Gstreamer is no longer available with AmaroK 1.4.3.

Does anyone know how to make Amarok's volume compare to VLC's volume?

Thanks,

--Nate
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Volume vs. VLC

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:21 pm
Lower VLC's volume?  :wink:

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
imported-shiny
Registered Member

Re: Volume vs. VLC

Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:00 am
There are 3 volume controls which you should check: master volume, PCM volume and amarok volume. The first two are controllable by kmix, alsamixer, gnome-mixer or any other mixer program. The last one is obvious, I hope :). Some programs like "xmms" like to use master volume as it's own, so when you change volume in xmms you change volume in all apps.  I don't know about vlc.
Good luck!