This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cover art in collection browser

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Cover art in collection browser

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:30 pm
Hi,

a very recent SVN commit added cover art to the collection browser. Now you get the album cover in front of each album displayed in the collection browser.
I would like to discuss this feature here.
I am aware that some people requested that feature, however, my opinion is that it is eating up far too much space and in the end I see no reason to have this feature anyway (at least I would appreciate to be able to turn it off).
How do other people think about this?

Do not get me wrong, I am not bashing this idea (not at all, I really appreciate new and innovative ideas being added to Amarok). I just want to collect some feedback here which could lead to interesting insights or new suggestions.

(For those not using the lastest SVN, I added a screenshot as an attachment)

Last edited by marcel on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Cover art in collection browser

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:59 pm
We've made it smaller; image size is currently 50px.

PS: Nice Oldfield collection :)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 am
Much better now, but I am still not sure about it. I would still prefer to turn it off (in the config) for the moment.
In terms of eye-candiness, I think it is actually a good idea to have the cover art in the collection browser, but maybe in another way, maybe by redesigning the whole collection browser (might go well with a different layout for Amarok as we saw it in an early 1.4 version)

I can see that shrinken the cover even more makes no sense, then you cannot see anything anymore. What bugs me is that there's the "big" cover and right next to it the Album name and a lot of white space above and below it. This could be possibly solved by moving the tracks just below the album title, thus using this space better. (I am speculating here, maybe this looks aweful).
tante
Registered Member

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:54 pm
marcel wrote:I can see that shrinken the cover even more makes no sense, then you cannot see anything anymore. What bugs me is that there's the "big" cover and right next to it the Album name and a lot of white space above and below it. This could be possibly solved by moving the tracks just below the album title, thus using this space better. (I am speculating here, maybe this looks aweful).

I like the idea of the covers in the collection browser, but agree, the white space should be used. Either for the tracks (which might **** up the layout on albums with lots of tracks) or with some metadata (length comes to mind). But that might slow it down too much?

"Governments can be useful to the governed only so long as inherent
tendencies toward tyranny are restrained."
Frank Herbert, 'God Emperor Of Dune'
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:37 pm
I like the eye candy. But there are some big problems (IMHO) with this feature:
- Users with low resolution
- Slow computer and many albums? Try to Browse By Albums...
- You have to scroll more

Well, there's some problems. I like the idea to be able to browse your album covers, but it should be optional to show album covers in the Collection Browser.

A little bit ff topic: I think it would be better with a vertical "Cover" browser which would appear above the playlist. Cover Flow anyone?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:24 am
I agree with you opinion hans. As there were layout changes planned for Amarok 2.0 and probably also the way the collection can be accessed, this feature looks like fitting for a "new Amarok" and a little less for the current one.

Anyway, it seems like this feature is still under developement and there was just a change in todays svn commit:

SVN r613546:
Only display cover images in the Collection Browser when the album is expanded.
Experimental. Less pretty, but at least it doesn't cause lag.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:48 am
SVN r613546:
Only display cover images in the Collection Browser when the album is expanded.
Experimental. Less pretty, but at least it doesn't cause lag.

Yes, lag disappear. But so does the purpose of this feature, at least for me; to be able to browse by album cover.
I agree with you marcel that this feature would be most fitting for Amarok 2.0. But I also do understand that this is experimental and think the devs are doing a good job, these post are supposed to sound like "THIS FEATURE SUCKS REMOVE IT NOW FFS", it's more to give my opion and maybe try to give tips for improvements.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:57 am
hans chen wrote:But I also do understand that this is experimental and think the devs are doing a good job, these post are supposed to sound like "THIS FEATURE SUCKS REMOVE IT NOW FFS", it's more to give my opion and maybe try to give tips for improvements.

Oh, totally. I hope I made clear in my original post that I just wanted to discuss this feature, I have no intend in cursing it. I also think that the devs are doing an awesome job, but feedback is also a valuable contribution to a project.
stokedfish

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:57 am
hans chen wrote:A little bit ff topic: I think it would be better with a vertical "Cover" browser which would appear above the playlist. Cover Flow anyone?

I agree, yes.
deloco
Registered Member

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:01 am
As one of those who requested this feature I think I should post my opinion here...

First of all, I didn't test it, as I use the Smart-Package-Manger and install Amarok from the guru-reps and no SVN-Version...
But I think it really is a good feature, I look through my record-collection, by viewing the covers and not reading the titles... I really like this feature, but I agree, that it would be very useful to be able to turn the Cover-View off in the collection browser, or to add a separated cover-browser like Cover-Flow...
Anyway... I am very glad to see, that It actually works to request a feature, and the (almighty, god-like, all hail to the...)Developers actually implement it (if it makes sense)... I am still amazed by the power of open-source and GNU/Linux....

Keep amaroKing!

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.
laserite
Registered Member

How do you turn it off?

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:51 pm
Hi all, I wanted to know how to disable this feature, since it slows down searching in the collection browser.

Thanks a lot!
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:06 am
You cannot disable it without changing the source code.
Make sure you are using the latest amarok version 1.4.5, as there have been some performance improvements compared to earlier (svn) versions regarding this feature
laserite
Registered Member

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:32 am
I'm using gentoo's 1.4.5. It's not just that amarok is slower while displaying results for collection searches, but also that the results are more difficult to read and it's a bit painful to skim through the results. Is it hard to disable this feature in the source code? What version should I go back to avoid this?

Thanks again!
hurra
Registered Member

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:35 am
This was introduced in 1.4.5

Make sure you delete your Amarok-config on downgrading.
~/.kde/share/apps/amarok and ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc

Note: You will loose your configuration and all your stats!
laserite
Registered Member

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:57 am
FYI I've discovered that by denying read access to .kde/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers amarok no longer displays covers in the collection browser, but searching is still slow .

Last edited by laserite on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.