This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Multiple Genres

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ardnut
Registered Member

Multiple Genres

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:17 pm
Is there any way to assign multiple genres to a track?
So that when using the "Group By" -> "Genre / Artist" view that the band would appear under more than one genre?
Samuel Krempp
Registered Member

Re: Multiple Genres

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:43 pm
this feature is missing in amarok (and mostly any audio player)

Personnally I know this will sooner or later become a classic feature (since it would be just so useful).
In a perfect world, each track could have any number of styles tags, and you could choose to set all those tags automatically with a lookup (allmusic or musicbrainz or whatever).

In the meantime it really feels like a waste of time to manually set a GENRE tag on 1000+ albums, when you're perfectly aware it won't even enable you to do by-genre lookups correctly since there's so many genres (and genre names) any single track could belong to...
Hatta
Registered Member

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:55 pm
I dont' think this feature is missing in amarok so much as it's missing in the tag standard.  id3v2 only supports one genre tag, and while you can shoehorn more data into it it's not standard.  Vorbis comments support multiple genre fields, but most of the music out there is still just mp3.  Until they fix mp3 or people move to vorbis I'd be surprised if useful multiple genre feature got implemented.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:03 pm
Samuel Krempp wrote:In a perfect world, each track could have any number of styles tags, and you could choose to set all those tags automatically with a lookup (allmusic or musicbrainz or whatever).

[img]http://www.kde-apps.org/content/pre1/49583-1.png[/img]

Maybe not perfect, but far better than 'good'.  :wink:

Last edited by Hans on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
danni
Registered Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:28 pm
In a perfect world, each track could have any number of styles tags, and you could choose to set all those tags automatically with a lookup (allmusic or musicbrainz or whatever).

Well actually as of Amarok 1.4.5 abitrary tags are supported (called labels) that are used mostly pretty much for what you describe. There is a script on kde-apps that lets you sync tags with last.fm
there are a few bugs associated still but mostly it works and is a hugely promising feature
qube
Registered Member

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Hatta wrote:I dont' think this feature is missing in amarok so much as it's missing in the tag standard.  id3v2 only supports one genre tag, and while you can shoehorn more data into it it's not standard.

It seems you are not correct. According to wikipedia, multiple values are supported since version ID3v2.3 of ID3 standard. In ID3v2.3 multiple values are separated by slash '/' and in ID3v2.4 by null character. For example mp3tag (mp3tag.de) can write ID3v2.4 correctly, but Amarok doesn't understand it in version 1.4.10 yet and interpret null character as a space.

I would greatly appriciate this feature in Amarok. I have not found any software, which can handle multiple values in ID3v2.4 correctly now and Amarok could gain some visibility by implementing this. Is there some way to post a feature request?
indeed
Registered Member

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:43 pm
Yup. Python's mutagen library certainly supports multiple genres. In fact, faced with the prospect of a few thousand genre-less tracks, I just used it in a  script that grabs the five most popular tags for the artist from last.fm and assigns all five to the track. It seems a waste now, if I can't find a music player that can handle them.

See http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/wiki ... nt/Mutagen