This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

REQ: remove "the" when sorting

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lexs
Registered Member

REQ: remove "the" when sorting

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:03 pm
amarok should remove "the" when sorting after artist (and everything else as well) so that The Beatles and Beatles is the same thing. it is kinda strange that amarok doesnt do this already imo.
dangle_wtf

Re: REQ: remove "the" when sorting

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:11 am
You *are* using 1.4.5, right?

Actually, Amarok has done this in the collection browser for some time, and the latest version uses the same method for sorting playlists.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
lexs
Registered Member

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:28 am
acutally i was, but i had to resort it for some reason.
when i add my whole collection via the "All collection" playlist it is sorted wrongly (it sorts using the).
and yes, im using 1.4.5 :)

anyway, next problem is to speed up the search, but thats a more complex problem
dangle_wtf

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:33 am
As a point to note, ignoring "the" is only valid for artist. Certainly works when sorting the entire collection in the playlist window here.

And faster search won't happen - not if you've got your entire collection loaded ;)

better using the collection manager, combined with smart and/or dynamic collections for a more responsive app.

Last edited by dangle_wtf on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
lexs
Registered Member

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:45 pm
why wont faster searching not happen, seems like amarok uses mysql fulltext search (which is slow).
and when you type a search it seems like amarok researches the whole collection for every new character. to speed it up it could just search the previous results.
i hope for a switch so a real search engine in 4.0. like clucene or whatever. even winamp searches faster on my old scrappy amd :(
dangle_wtf

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:52 pm
well because the stable branch is basically done. Yeah, the whole thing will probably be faster with 2.0, but won't be for a while yet.