This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ipod m4a transcode?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
woodmeister
Registered Member

ipod m4a transcode?

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:04 pm
I'm trying to send some flac's to my ipod via the media device tab and get them converted to m4a's on the way. The problem is that amarok seems to transcode them to mp3's each time instead. The m4a profile is selected in the transkode script.

any help appreciated

mark
wiggie
Registered Member

Re: ipod m4a transcode?

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:16 pm
Try going into the Configure media device dialog and change the Other formats will be converted to option to m4a.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer

Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:09 am
Transcoding to m4a was the default for Amarok 1.4.0-1.4.4. Because of many complaints, this was changed to mp3 in 1.4.5. There is no way to change that except for setting up transKode to transcode to m4a when requested to transcode to mp3.
meriksson
Registered Member

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:51 am
Hi,

I have the same problem, I prefer converting my flac files to m4a when transferring to my iPod. How does one set up the profile "amarok TTMD - mp3" to use FAAC and convert to m4a instead of using Lame to mp3? When selecting that profile the "Encoding Type" is greyd out and cannot be changed to FAAC?
meriksson
Registered Member

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 am
I found out the answer myself...

Opened ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts-data/transkoderc in Kate and copied everything under the section [amarok TTMD -m4a] and paste under the  [amaroK TTMD - mp3] section so that they look exactly the same.

This is how these sections now look in my transkoderc file, not that I have changed the default quality value from 100 to 180:

[amaroK TTMD - m4a]
encode_type=FAAC
extension=m4a
naming_scheme=
show=false
switches=-q 180

[amaroK TTMD - mp3]
encode_type=FAAC
extension=m4a
naming_scheme=
show=false
switches=-q 180

This works great form me now!
paulsdavies
Registered Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:02 pm
Just to let people know - this worked for me too - I was struggling with this problem. Although I have fixed my problem, if anyone knows a more elegant solution, let me know!