This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ipod video transfer

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
woodmeister
Registered Member

ipod video transfer

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:55 pm
I'm having serious problems getting videos to transfer with 1.4.5 on ubuntu. mp4 files will transfer but appear on the ipod in the audio rather than video section. m4v files will not transfer, or if the transcode wizard is enabled will start getting transcoded into something, I've not left it running to find out what.

again, any help appreciated

mark
djdanique
Registered Member

Re: ipod video transfer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:08 pm
I'm having the exact same problem in SuSE 10.1: 

• I can't transfer m4v files onto my ipod at all ('track not playable on media device')
  • I can't drag m4v files onto the amarok playlist ('Some media could not be loaded (not playable)')
  • mp4 files transfer to the ipod, but won't show up in videos section

I tried rolling back to version 1.4.4, but that didn't fix it.  I have another machine with openSUSE 10.2; I'll report back once I check and see if it's any different. 
wiggie
Registered Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:09 pm
I believe the reason that you are not able to transfer m4v files is that it is not set in the media device configuration editor to allow transfer of such files.

Go to the Media Devices tab and click the configure button (looks like a wrench and a hammer). In the dialog there is a section called Transferring files to media device. There you can set which file types are allowed to transfer. The problem is, Amarok won't distinguish between video files and audio files, so it will just put everything in the audio section.

This should work in UMS mode, I'm not sure how the settings change for MTP mode. I still haven't managed to get my device working in MTP mode.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Perhaps Amarok does not know that your ipod is capable of playing video because it does not know its type. In the media device tab, there is a button labelled 'iPod' in the toolbar. A pulldown menu there will let you specify its type. Perhaps this does fix your problems? Unfortunately, I don't have a video capable iPod for testing this.
woodmeister
Registered Member

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:59 pm
I've tried setting the ipod type but still have no success.