This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"iPod view"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
NobbeWan
Registered Member

"iPod view"

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:43 pm
So, I pulled down Amarok 1.4.5 yesterday.  I love it, best incarnation of my favorite piece of software yet.
One issue however... why is there a view named "iPod view"?  I understand its similarity to that of the iPods,
but why name it that?  Last I checked Amarok is not produced by Apple...  Besides that, I thought we were
in the business of innovating, not copying  :p  Perhaps this was just giving credit where credit is due... but still.
Besides that, I hate how the iPod has worked its way so far into our collective psyche.  This does not mean I dislike
this feature, it is rather nice if you are used to that method of finding songs.  I like amarokFS as well, even though
it is clearly imitating a feature of OSX.  It just seems to me that there should be some kind of unique quality to
these features.

Anyway, someone empathize with me here.  Or yell at me, I don't care.  I just want to see Amarok dominate iTunes
when it hits Windows and OSX.  While I'm at it I may as well throw this out there, has anyone else thought Amarok
and Kaffeine should team up to add video capability?
cyrus007
Registered Member

Re: "iPod view"

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:41 pm
NobbeWan wrote:I like amarokFS as well, even though  it is clearly imitating a feature of OSX.  It just seems to me that there should be some kind of unique quality to these features.

I guess that's the reason why the developers have not liked or added the fullscreen feature to it. No compelling design idea yet or KDE does not provide the tools to do what they want.

NobbeWan wrote:Anyway, someone empathize with me here.  Or yell at me, I don't care.  I just want to see Amarok dominate iTunes when it hits Windows and OSX.  While I'm at it I may as well throw this out there, has anyone else thought Amarok and Kaffeine should team up to add video capability?

I would say !!A BIG NO!!, let it be the best AUDIO MUSIC/PODCAST player only and not try to be a kitchen sink of media player.
NobbeWan
Registered Member

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:51 am
Well it seems to me when I look at Kaffeine it has such a similar design to that of Amarok.  Besides adding video functionality would lure people away from iTunes and Media Player.  At least you can launch videos from Amarok via the file view.  I don't think it is necessary to roll the two programs together though.  If you look at Kaffeine they have fairly weak audio integration... couldn't the two projects have a mutual benefit?  It seems to me that from a developers standpoint it wouldn't even be that difficult to implement.  In 2.0 wouldn't it be a cinch with phonon?

I recently emailed the creator of amarokFS with some ideas, and a mockup I made.  He tells me that he will begin adding functionality once he returns from holiday.  I was thinking that with added features it really could be a nice addition to 2.0.  If he is amenable (I cannot claim to speak for him) I would like to see it become a candidate on the wiki.  That way some developers could potentially jump on board.
stokedfish

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:24 pm
NobbeWan wrote:I recently emailed the creator of amarokFS with some ideas, and a mockup I made.  He tells me that he will begin adding functionality once he returns from holiday.  I was thinking that with added features it really could be a nice addition to 2.0.  If he is amenable (I cannot claim to speak for him) I would like to see it become a candidate on the wiki.  That way some developers could potentially jump on board.

Read the mailinglist, none of the devs seem to care to include this by default although it would obviously make sense...  :(