This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok, MTP devices and character encoding.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Thetargos
Registered Member
Hello all.

I may be having an issue of this nature with Amarok 1.4.5, and I'm not sure what to do.

So it happens that for some obscure reason the character encoding of the filenames is changed as soon as I select a group of files to be synchronized with my iriver Clix. Only until recently (read, today) I was able to sync with my Clix on Linux using Amarok or Gnomad2 (due to libmtp-0.1.3). Anyway, the problem is that I get a lot of transfer fails due to (presumably) this issue.

When I select a group of files to transfer, and enque them in the sync list, apparently the character encoding used in the list is different from that used in the library browser or file browser. The most notable example of this were some files which have japanese characters as part of the filenames, when I select these files to enqueue them, I see pure giberish in the queued files. If i try to transfer these files, the transfer fails (and the error message is not very useful either). Does Amarok change the character encoding on purpose or are these some settings I can change?

Thanks in advance.
marcel
Registered Member
OS
Have you looked into the configuration dialog of your media device in amarok? There you have multiple options like "use only ASCII characters for file names" or "use VFAT-safe names" that might solve your problems.
Thetargos
Registered Member
I have not seen such options for the media device in Amarok. All I see are the different ways to manage the device (generic device, iPod, MTP, etc), but nothing about the character encoding or something to hint to that. At least not under the main configuartion panel (under media devices), could you please tell me where are these options? I saw something about using ASCII or VFAT safe characters when organizing files, but other than I have not seen that option anywhere else (could this the issue? That I have to check or uncheck something in that dialog for the files?)