This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How /does/ dynamic mode work?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mikew
Registered Member

How /does/ dynamic mode work?

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:22 am
hello everyone

I just started looking into dynamic / static playists on account of my new ipod shuffle

now, smart playlists are pretty easy to grasp the context of. a playlist that is basically a stored query on the database. and when I started looking into dynamic playlists, the lack of options seems to throw me off. from searching the internet, I've gathered that the "suggested songs" searches last.fm for similar artists (although it usually sticks with two/three authors, not much fun) and as the "random songs", would it be safe for me to say that it just selects random songs from your collection?

if so, based on what exactly? and when you create a new dynamic playlist and choose the source, what does it base the upcoming selections on (if anything)?

at this point I'm using a smart playlist that selects 250 random songs weighted on score to fill my shuffle. could anyone suggest a better way, or is this as good as it gets? no complaints, of course, amarok constantly blows me away. I'm just trying to understand it all
dangle_wtf

Re: How /does/ dynamic mode work?

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:50 am
Dynamic playlists are a way of using multiple playlist sources to generate random playlists based on a 'theme'.

The dynamic part comes from the fact that as one track is played, it's removed from the start of the playlist, and a new track is added to the end. This can continue indefinitely, depending on the sources you choose. There's quite a good explanation of how they work in the Amarok handbook, as well as tips on creating your own.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
hurra
Registered Member