This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

case sensitive collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
geitosten
Registered Member

case sensitive collection

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:37 pm
Is the collection supposed to be case sensitive? If so, is there a way to turn this off?
Let's say I have two albums. One by "metallica" and another by "Metallica" (big M) then these show up as different artists. Or if I have an album with some songs by "black sabbath" and some other songs on that album by "BLACK SABBATH" then this album shows up under 'various artists'.
This is really annoying...
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: case sensitive collection

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 pm
Why not tag your music correctly.  :wink:

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
dangle_wtf

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 am
See when *I* say this, I get flamed to oblivion :P

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
stokedfish

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:30 am
Yeah, tag your music and you'll be fine...
geitosten
Registered Member

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:18 pm
Thanks for the highly informative and useful replies...
Of course I have to retag it. The problem is that if you rip a cd with e.g. Grip the tags are loaded automatically from an online database, as you might know. I would like not having to bother checking whether the case on each letter of the artist I'm going to rip matches entries I already have in my collection or not.

PS:
dangle_wtf : I fully endorse that !  :wink:
dangle_wtf

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:25 pm
You realise you can EDIT the tags in grip before you go ahead and rip your CD? In fact this really is an important step, due to the massive amount of badly spelled, poorly capitalised entries in the freedb.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
geitosten
Registered Member

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:59 am
Yes, I know that.  :wink:
That's what I meant by saying I don't want to check the case every time I rip. Spelling is easy to discover. To remember whether the previous rip of metallica was spelled with capital m or not is worse...
And I still don't see any reason why artist names should be distinguished by the case of the letters.

Last edited by geitosten on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehird
Registered Member

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:07 pm
METALLICA is not metallica, therefore it would be a bug to treat them the same. If you're lazy and don't want to take, oh, 3 seconds to fix tags, then deal with it.
geitosten
Registered Member

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:30 pm
I do not agree.
There are certainly different artists/bands with the same name out there, but you usually can't separate them by the case of the letters in their names anyway. And a quick look at my metallica CDs showed that they spell it at least like "METALLICA" and "Metallica". The capitalised version could of course be said to be due to the 'convention' of writing in capitals on CD covers and that metallica is a name and should therefore be written with a capital M.
But what do you do with names with more than one word then? A lot of people write the first letter of each word with a capital letter. Others capitalise the first letter only...

Before this develops into an argument let me say that I am aware that it is very easy to fix this manually as has been pointed out. But as I said; I don't see any problem what so ever in making it easier for the user and ignore the case when distinguishing between artists.
geitosten
Registered Member

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:53 pm
Just a thought:
Since there seem to be no such thing as optional case sensitivity of artist names in the collection and this thread seems to be moving in to a different direction, it probably belongs in the Usability forum. I'll copy the relevant parts of the thread over there and the discussion on whether case sensitive artist names is a feature or a bug can continue over there.
stokedfish

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:16 pm
Never trust FreeDB, that database sucks and is one big mess.

I tag everything on my own and therefore never ever had any tag problems...
GrimReaper
Registered Member

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 am
Hello all,

I also have problems with case sensitivity, although not because of inconsistent tags in my collection, but rather because my tags are not the same case like the last.fm 'related artists'. In my opinion this is a worse problem, because the last.fm band names are often poorly cased, and therefore I definitely don't want to change my tags to fit them.

Greetings

GrimReaper