This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: smarter artist parsing in context browser

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
e235
Registered Member
I love the "Albums by" and "Compilations with" listings in the music tab of the context browser. But there seems to be one major failing with the way it works now: it doesn't pick up non-compilation albums in which artist/group is a participant. For example an album with the artist tagged as "DJ Spooky vs Scanner" will not show up for either DJ Spooky or Scanner.

What I would propose is a third category between "Albums by" and "Compilations with" -- "Albums with". Artist tags matching the forms "A & B", "A and B", A,B, C", "A vs B", etc should be parsed to match the included artists. This would be a wonderful enhancement. As it is, it's very disappointing to have related albums not coming up the context browser, especially for artists who frequently collaborate.

I would imagine this could be implemented two different ways. Either dynamically generated through additional sql queries, or through the addition of a table to the database that would match a given artist to the artist tags they are included in.

The only problem I can foresee with this is the possibility of the occasional false positive, but perhaps there could be some database method for marking a certain match as a false positive.

Speaking as someone with a lot of collaborative albums in their collection, this would be a very welcome feature. As it is, it can very frustrating to half less then half of the relevant albums be listed for a given artist.

So hopefully we can see some more intelligent artist matching