This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio CD and CDDB support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Lejzy
Registered Member

Audio CD and CDDB support

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 pm
I think that CDDB support should be improved. Amarok is good for mp3 collections on HDD, but for Audio CD it could perform much better.

1) Sometimes it even doesn't download data for the same CD that Kaffeine does. Both have the same settings for CDDB and both use Xine.

2) It doesn't correctly recognize authors and track names for CDs with multiple authors. They are witten in the form author / name .

3) It doesn't allow to correct the displayed tags for tracks on the CD even for local playing. Of course uploading to CDDB would be much better.

Regards,  Lejzy
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Re: Audio CD and CDDB support

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:43 pm
To defend Amarok here:

Lejzy wrote:2) It doesn't correctly recognize authors and track names for CDs with multiple authors. They are witten in the form author / name .

3) It doesn't allow to correct the displayed tags for tracks on the CD even for local playing. Of course uploading to CDDB would be much better.

About 2) This is CDDB's fault, some of the tags there are written like that, some not. How should Amarok find that out?

About 3) Correcting tags is bogus, because they are not saved anywhere. Next time you insert a CD, Amarok will fetch from CDDB again (not sure if it can handle a local CDDB). So why would you want to change any tags if you lose them anyway? Can you update CDDB? I am not sure, it's commercial and closes...
Lejzy
Registered Member

Re: Audio CD and CDDB support

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:02 am
2) Yes you are right, but KAudioCreator or,  as I remember, Windows MP (but I used it only severaltimes) recognize CD's that were writen in this way quite good. It is good feature If you want these tracks to get ripped or scrobbled to Last.fm.

3) Of course I meant freedb. Uploading to freedb allow for example KsCD, KAudioCreator and i think that even XMMS. With local update I meant xine cddb chache but even correction during playing only in amarok playlist would be helpful for both ripping and last.fm.