This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: artist tagging

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
veal
Registered Member

Feature Request: artist tagging

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:22 pm
are there plans (for 2.0?) to implement an artist based tagging/labeling? i'm kinda lost with the track labels... i always had the urge to bookmark certain artists so i can go back to them at a later time. artist-tagging would be a possible answer to this, or a bookmarking feature?

i could just label all tracks from a given artist but 1) i think that's misusing a feature and wasting cpu power 2) future tracks of this artist added won't have that label.

how do you guys use the track labeling? what labels do you got? i only labeled one ambient-set as `coding' so far :D
deloco
Registered Member

Re: Feature Request: artist tagging

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 am
Well first I intended to use the Labels to seperate my Music-Collection from my Audiobooks.
But I don't like that, because the Ausiobooks still are in the Music-Library and therefore it would be too much work to exclude them from Automatic Playlist etc. and, b ythe way, I don't like the Audiobooks to be shown in the contextbrowser under "Number of tracks" etc...

So at the moment I'm stuck with somethousand Tracks that are Labeled with "Music"... Damn! It takes a lot of time to remove that, because you can't remove Labels from more than one Track at a time :-(

Okay... as soon as I'm done with that, I will group my Music with Labels like "Chill-Music" and "Love-Making" and so on...
I simply will use the Labels to group my music for situations "Party-Music" would be good too...
You can do lots of things with those Labels, as soon as you get the unwanted Labels removed...

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.
dangle_wtf

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:42 am
Have you investigated "group by..." settings? If you group by label for the top level, then by artist or whatever for the second level, you can batch-edit every track with the "music" label. Just right-click and select "edit information for nn tracks", then click on the "labels" tab.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
deloco
Registered Member

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:59 pm
Of course I have done that.
It simply doesn't work.... I tried it for all 3500 Tracks at onece, for One Album... It doesn't matter. It only works track per track.
Well... I haven't tried it since the update to 1.4.7. So I'll give it another shot. ... Takes lot of time to edit TrackInfos for >3000 Tracks...
So it will take a while...

Waitin'...

Still waitin'...

Still waitin'...

...No the files are still labeled.

It definitly doesn't work to remove the label at more than one track at atime...

dangle_wtf

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 am
worksforme... even with 1.4.6 on OS X where I have other collection issues.

[edit]
Ah, my bad - it looked like it worked, but didn't make changes.

I'd suggest you post a bug report for 1.4.7, but it may not be fixed until 2.0.

Last edited by dangle_wtf on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
deloco
Registered Member

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:48 am
Okay... so I'm one of those lazy guys who want a quick sollution...
So instead of posting a Bug-Report I just edited the collection.db-file with knoda and deleted the music-label.
It worked!
So to all of you who want to delete some Labels: Edit the collection.db-File in your amarok-home-folder (BACK IT UP BEFORE YOU EDIT IT!!!) with a tool like knoda. There you find all labels listed. I simply deleted the whole titleset and now none of my 5000 Tracks has any label.

Cool. Time to start over...

Of course it would be good to have this fixed in a later Version of Amarok, but it's no priority to me, since I have a way of deleting unwanted Labels now.