This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok as a shared music service for a radio station

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cybertoast
Registered Member
I'm part of a community radio station, and need to have a simple/elegant solution for multiple users to create playlists. Amarok seems to have many of the pieces, but I'm missing a couple.

What I need is a way to have my entire music library in a MySQL database - this Amarok can do.
I then need clients to be able to use that single MySQL database - also seems like it works.
This is what I think Amarok lacks:
- I need to have the music library updated regularly (say every hour) in case anyone put anything new into the library, and this should be done by a back-end script.
- I also need to ensure that not all users can change the database entries. I guess this is straight-forward by just ensuring that the login only has select permissions.
- And I need to be able to export playlists to files that can be played in other players - essentially the playlists need to be automatically saved into a common folder someplace
- And a web interface would be great, for a simple, thin-client dedicated to just creating and editing playlists (sort of like Ampache).

I suspect that all these features actually exist in the Amarok world, but that I just don't know how to get it all to work. Would anyone be able to offer suggestions?

I've evaluated a bunch of different solutions - ampache, mp3act, jinzora, and amarok comes closest to what I need. If I can figure out how to do the above things I'd be set.

BTW, what we do right now is use XMMS and the file system - but it's a terribly inelegant and confusing system, prone to problems such as XMMS's playlist crashing.