This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

2494 weeks Play-Time?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

2494 weeks Play-Time?

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:11 am
I'm not sure how to label this exactly, but I have searched, and not seen anybody talk about this. Son and I were comparing the size of our music databases now that I've scanned all of my CDs and many of his onto my hard drive. He was casting doubt on Amarok's report of 10321 Tracks, 746 Artists, 847 Albums, 126 Genres (which I don't pay much attention to), and 2494 weeks Play-time.

I checked my folder of ogg files (all the new stuff), and I have 27.5 GB in 9379 files, 1118 sub-folders. There is about 10 GBs of mp3s and a few Torrents.

The 2494 weeks is clearly incorrect, and I can't figure out where it comes from, either. Does anyone know? I think that the track listing is probably my ogg + mp3s, while the sub-folders is the artist + album number  -- or is it -- doesn't add up. Could be just the artists with an entire album, because there are so many artists in the "various artist" section.

Anyway, I like the way Amarok groups everything, which matches the organization of the linux file system. But my Windows+iPod/iTunes using son is casting doubt on Amarok's report. Ogg files are smaller than mp3s, yes? My total collection is about 10 GB smaller than his, but almost the same number of files (he has mostly mp3s).

How accurate is Amarok's reporting of collection size? And how about that absurd "2494 weeks Play-Time"? That is over 400,000 hours, by my calculation! If each file is 3 minutes long (average). it should be more like 500 hours, or about 20 days in total.

cubanresourceful
Registered Member

Re: 2494 weeks Play-Time?

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:57 pm
First of all, some songs are 40+ minutes long. I have some songs from metal bands, like woodstock '99, and other lives that are 40+ minutes. Also, you *may* have corrupt songs, that show more minutes than they really are. I have a few songs that messed up when transcoding from MP3 to OGG, and have minutes of 'white noise'. Hopefully this helps!
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:11 am
Hmmm. Well, I do have some classical tracks, and those could be much longer than 3 minutes, true. But not THAT many! Rather than focussing on tracks, how about simplifying, and considering the number of albums? I have almost 900 albums, although a few of those have only one song represented. But even so, say the average length is an hour. That would be 900 hours, or roughly 37 days. 5 weeks, not 2494.

I didn't transcode anything. I ripped to either mp3 or ogg, and so far, haven't come across any tracks with any white noise, or long periods of silence. I haven't listened to even half of my collection yet, but sure hope I don't have any corrupted tracks!

eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:19 pm
Its probably some tracks that don't report their length correctly.

Amarok Developer