This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Playlist suggestions / help with Amarok + iriver

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
webqs
Registered Member
Hi

I've been playing around with my new iRiver X20 and Amarok. It all work very nicely apart from playlists so I have both a suggestion and a help request.

Help - any other iriver x20 users encounter this?
the x20 has playlist support but it seems that this is only via Windows Media Player and it's PLA format playlist (which look to be binary file after running them through "file"). I made some m3u playlists and copied them to the Playlists directory on the device with the result that they are displayed but not opened. I've tried all variations of directory separators (/ and  \) and uppercase/lowercase music/MUSIC directory names and directory roots (maybe the playlist root is the MUSIC directory on the device) but no cigar.
Can any other iriver/amarok user offer any ideas of getting playlists working?

Is there any way for Amarok to create a PLA playlist ? There is a tool called ljconvert on Windows that looks to transform m3u into pla listings so it can be done outside of  WMP11

Suggestion
The drag and drop to device works extremely well but adding a playlist to a device is a bit cumbersome. My ideas would be:
* drag and drop the Amarok playlist to the device
* have a header in the Transfer Queue pane which includes:
- a checkbox with the text "Create a Playlist on "
- in format (drop down) m3u, pls, pla etc
- textfield
* hit transfer and the files are copied over together with the playlist in the selected format and with the file path set up per the device configuration.

In the device configuration, add an option to tell amarok where the playlists are kept (directory "playlists" in my case)
Also make it so that the playlist is in the correct format for the device. I have a feeling the X20 needs the windows directory separators  "\" instead of the standard unix "/"

Finally when amarok syncs with the device then the playlists can be displayed in the Playlist window and any songs that are not on the device are transferred over from Amarok or are removed from the playlist if not available.

Finally Finally. I've noticed that the album cover art is transferred to the X20 somehow. I can't find the cover art anywhere in the device - would it be stored within the first track of the album for instance?'

I'm fairly new to devices with Amarok so apologies if this is available and staring me in the face. :)