This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dual format collection: how do I prefer FLAC over Mp3?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
soulcoughy
Registered Member
I've been poking around a bit and haven't found a way to do what I need to do.

I essentially have 2 collections.  A large Mp3 collection, and a smaller FLAC collection which is a subset of the Mp3 collection.  What I would like to do is have amarok "prefer" any FLAC album over it's mp3 counterpart, unless I'm transferring to a portable media device.  I've been working around the issue by including the format of the album in the album name tag, but this is kind of ugly.  If I don't do this, however, each album shows up with 2x the tracks, and it's difficult to tell which format is which.  Any ideas on how to do this?  Thanks guys.

-Brian
cubanresourceful
Registered Member
Well, you can make a Smart Playlist, set it up like this:

Match All of the following conditions (tick the box)
Comment -> is -> FLAC
Expand by Artist (tick the box)
Artist

Now, that would just show FLAC songs if you have the word FLAC, but that doesn't exactly solve your situation, but its a shot in the right direction, no?
soulcoughy
Registered Member
That's a good idea.  Thanks for the suggestion cubanresourceful.  The only gotcha with this method is that I lose the ability to expand the tree as Artist->Album->Track, but it sure is a step in the right direction.

Last edited by soulcoughy on Fri May 04, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cubanresourceful
Registered Member
Yeah, your right. I think its a good suggestion, although I do not have dual collections, it good to know that the functionality is there! Maybe post a comment on the dev blog?
aknuds-1
Registered Member
I'm faced with the exact same problem! There really should be a setting in Amarok as to what format to prefer (FLAC!) if the same song is available in different formats. I figure this idea should be pitched to the developers.
soulcoughy
Registered Member
For those interested, I found a solution that works pretty well for me.  I didn't realize how configurable the collection browser was.  I simply setup a third "group by" tier and grouped by label.  I "labeled" all of my FLAC albums as such, likewise with Mp3.  Now under each album I have 2 categories, FLAC and MP3.  As an aside, is "label" in this context supposed to have the same meaning as a last.fm "tag", or is it a field for marking the record label?  It seems ambiguous.
cubanresourceful
Registered Member
I dont know, but good find! Thanks for sharing!
danni
Registered Member
The former...
but the term is ambiguous
dangle_wtf
deliberately ambiguous, simply because there are so many applications.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"